Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj5 SOA no go?

I was just talking to the guys over at 4west to see what they thought about doing a SOA on a 75 cj5. They said that on such a short wheel base vehicle the only way it is usable is to also swap the rear Dana 44 with a reverse rotation high pinion. Anyone ever done the soa on a cj5 with a low pinion? Just curios mostly, since I am weighing my lift options.

Thanks all
    Jeff
    Jeff
    Banning
    75 cj5 258ci 31" yokahamas soon to have an aussie front locker.

How long is the back shadt now?

Turn the pinion to point at the transfercase yoke and use a CV driver shaft.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Did they offer to sell you a lift kit??
    Last edited by Davisrats; 06-05-06, 06:57 PM.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

the drive shaft is 14" long (u-joint to u-joint) when my jeep is sitting in the driveway. They were saying that the problem would be coming out of the T case. And no they didnt try to sell me anything, they just said I should bring the jeep by for a mechanic to look at to get the best advise on a lift.
      Jeff
      Banning

Comment

Lift

A 4" lift using the u-bolt kit where the bolt threads are on top will clear 33" tires easy. I have a spring over on my YJ and at times it is tippy. I had an 80 CJ5 with a rancho 4" lift and 33" tires with a detroit in the back and a lockrite in the front and it did very well. If we get together next week on the 13th to go weeling during the week you can check my SOA and I can relate some of the things you will need to do to accomplish that.
        Reguardless which lift you use if you go with bigger tires and I assume that is the purpose for the lift will will need to regear.
        What type of wheeling do you plan on doing. Mild or hard core (Rocks).
        I've been on on almost all the trails in So. Cal as well as the big name ones in the North.
        Didn't mean to get off topic on the lift but they are things to consider.
        George
        kropp@cox.net

Comment

Spring over is never as simple or as cheap as it first seems.
          Steering, drive shafts, shocks, brake lines, spring wrap...

SOA is a good set up, so is SUA, what do you want the jeep to do?
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

There is an article in JP this month (July 2006) about spring overs on pg 86. I think it outlines the potential problems with spring over quite well. It will not necessarily be cheaper than buying springs if you compare similarly built systems.
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

thanks for all the advise!!
              Jeff
              Banning

Comment

Ive done some more looking and the other option I am considering is to put 4" lift cj7 rear spring all the way around. while doing that i was planning on doing a shackle reversal. Anyone have input on that?
                Jeff
                Banning

Comment

Working...
                X