Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana Hy Steer

Anyone running the Hy steering set-up on top of the knuckles? Pros or cons?
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

what knuckles? stock TJ?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
      what knuckles? stock TJ?
      I believe the knuckle would need to be a flat top, some D44's are and in my case I have D60 . I'll be doing a cross over linkage setup..
      Last edited by Britain; 06-04-06, 10:31 AM.
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

I have 1975 chevy flat tops. 1980ish ford rotors, chevy small spindles.
        I have the right flat top at Parts Mike shop right now.
        I will buy the GM Tie rod ends instead of hiem joints.

Not done yet but it well keep the steering away from my front springs, and higher off the ground.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ngresearch.htm

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/Dana44.htm
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
          I have 1975 chevy flat tops. 1980ish ford rotors, chevy small spindles.
          I have the right flat top at Parts Mike shop right now.
          I will buy the GM Tie rod ends instead of hiem joints.

Not done yet but it well keep the steering away from my front springs, and higher off the ground.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ngresearch.htm

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/Dana44.htm
          Got both links. You running D44? I'm adding ram assist and thought it was good time to move that linkage up! Little leary with bolt on billet arms taking the stress with ram assist steering....
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

I have a dana 44 from a full size cherokee (cut down) in the front of my CJ.

right now if I stuff the drivers wheel and/or droop the passengers the tie rod hits the spring.
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
              I have a dana 44 from a full size cherokee (cut down) in the front of my CJ.

right now if I stuff the drivers wheel and/or droop the passengers the tie rod hits the spring.
              umm I'm running D60 TJ RE long Arm, nothing to hit only on compression going up. Going to add stuff , winch set-up so that suspension springs can be compressed for those off camber steep climbs.

friggen mess
              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
              WEB site

Comment

Dana 44 Hy Steer

When I did my springover many years ago along with putting on a 44 on the front I used a similar BKT (pictured) to get my Drag link up high to get it away from the spring as well as to straighten out the rod to get rid of bump steer. I only used one bracket to the passanger side. There was no kit back then.
                http://www.partsmikeparts.com/44CorrectedArm.htm

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
                  When I did my springover many years ago along with putting on a 44 on the front I used a similar BKT (pictured) to get my Drag link up high to get it away from the spring as well as to straighten out the rod to get rid of bump steer. I only used one bracket to the passanger side. There was no kit back then.
                  http://www.partsmikeparts.com/44CorrectedArm.htm
                  ahh I was reviewing the Devils run on Stormtroopers Web site I do see only your drag link above I plan on moving everything up top. Seen to many broken busted tie rods this summer.

Why did you not move up the rest of the linkage???
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

I have a dana 60 with kingpin knuckles and a Poison Spyder Customs passenger side hi steer arm (arm for draglink only). They also make arms for kingpin knuckles for complete hi steer. The PSC arms milled with tapers for Chevy drag link ends ES2026R and ES2027L.

Also check out http://www.offroaddesign.com/Dana60crossover.htm they have a high steer kit that looks good and i believe they use tie rod ends.

Either kit would probably work just fine. I used PSC because they have multiple holes in their arms so you can refine steering ratios, clearances, etc, etc, yak, yak, yak. The drag link ends work just fine and they handle a lot of misalignment but my setup uses only a fraction or what the ends are capable of. I tend to think the rod end setup would be a little nicer as the ends are a lot shorter and thus more of the links' buckling stresses are in the link tubing that is much more resistant to bending/buckling.

PSC (and probably ORD) has 1.5" OD .250" wall DOM tubing with all necessary threaded inserts and jam nuts to build the links yourself. The rod end and drag link ends i used are all 7/8" thread.

Let me know if you'd like some additional info and maybe i can help.
                    1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Originally posted by GoinCommando
                      I have a dana 60 with kingpin knuckles and a Poison Spyder Customs passenger side hi steer arm (arm for draglink only). They also make arms for kingpin knuckles for complete hi steer. The PSC arms milled with tapers for Chevy drag link ends ES2026R and ES2027L.

Also check out http://www.offroaddesign.com/Dana60crossover.htm they have a high steer kit that looks good and i believe they use tie rod ends.

Either kit would probably work just fine. I used PSC because they have multiple holes in their arms so you can refine steering ratios, clearances, etc, etc, yak, yak, yak. The drag link ends work just fine and they handle a lot of misalignment but my setup uses only a fraction or what the ends are capable of. I tend to think the rod end setup would be a little nicer as the ends are a lot shorter and thus more of the links' buckling stresses are in the link tubing that is much more resistant to bending/buckling.

PSC (and probably ORD) has 1.5" OD .250" wall DOM tubing with all necessary threaded inserts and jam nuts to build the links yourself. The rod end and drag link ends i used are all 7/8" thread.

Let me know if you'd like some additional info and maybe i can help.
                      Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm starting to get interference with the drag and tie rod link. May need to build custom arm to where the drag rides higher and stays out of the way of the tie rod. To boot this needs to be tied into ram steering.

Didnt realize this would be so much of a challenge
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

High steer

Originally posted by Britain
                        ahh I was reviewing the Devils run on Stormtroopers Web site I do see only your drag link above I plan on moving everything up top. Seen to many broken busted tie rods this summer.

Why did you not move up the rest of the linkage???
                        Same problem as you. Centering link was sitting on top of springs. Remember my springs are on top of the axel.

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
                          Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm starting to get interference with the drag and tie rod link. May need to build custom arm to where the drag rides higher and stays out of the way of the tie rod. To boot this needs to be tied into ram steering.

Didnt realize this would be so much of a challenge
                          Again, it might be worth checking out PSC. I believe the full hi steer arms mount the tie rod BEHIND the axle and keep the drag link in front of the axle. Sounds like it may fix your tie rod/drag link interference problem (if i am understanding your problem correctly). As a matter of fact they have a pic of a jeep with D60 front with the arms and tie rod behind the axle with ram assist.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by GoinCommando; 06-24-06, 08:31 PM.
                          1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Originally posted by GoinCommando
                            Again, it might be worth checking out PSC. I believe the full hi steer arms mount the tie rod BEHIND the axle and keep the drag link in front of the axle. Sounds like it may fix your tie rod/drag link interference problem (if i am understanding your problem correctly). As a matter of fact they have a pic of a jeep with D60 front with the arms and tie rod behind the axle with ram assist.

Good luck.
                            Got a lttle excited thinking about running it behind the axle but after closer inspection, springs and long upper arms now in way. Not impossible but would take a big mod to do that. Interesting though....
                            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                            WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
                              Same problem as you. Centering link was sitting on top of springs. Remember my springs are on top of the axel.
                              Yea your right. After reviewing the picture again the springs maybe in the way.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X