Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think i messed something up...

I went for some runs with my friend yesterday with his TJ and my XJ and when i was driving back i definently felt something wierd under the chassi. Today when i looked under (it was dark last night so i couldnt see anything) I didnt notice anything broken or bent or hurt. i went completely under check steering components suspension (shocks are fine) etc... i cant see anything horbily damaged. When i drive it, it seems like there is a sort of knocking under my feet like a clunking or smacking (it seems dependent on RPM too) I was thinking front drive shaft maybe? but i looked at it and it looks totally fine, spins fine in my hand. Anyone got any ideas what it could be? thanks for checkin this out for me...

-Allen
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

I found an exhaust hanger that broke at the weld, i think it might be that banging against the frame. When i drive normal and shift at decent RPMs you dont feel it but when i shift high i feel the clunk. I think thats it, ill get it welded this weekend. thanks for all you guys who took a look...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

clunking at the feet can be alot of things. check to make sure your control arm bolts and shocks are tight. I had a knocking under my feet in my TJ and it turned out to be the front output yoke on the t-case was loose, maybe double check that.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Oh, after every wheeling trip, its good to get under your Jeep and see whats up, make sure things are tight, etc. Its a good practice to get into.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yeah i tried but when i got back it was so dark and i didnt have a freakin flashlight (i forgot it at home) so i couldnt really see anything, i normally do just to make sure. i dont know, i drove it yesterday and it feels like once i got past 65 my front end likes to move back and forth... death wobble?

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

something is loose. check the trac bar
            And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

yeah well it was weird, all the steering gayness pretty much stopped the next day and the clunking was the exahust, i got the hanger welded and its fine now no clunk. Ill finally be chaniging all the suspension up so im sure ill get a thoughrou check of anything when im under there. thanks guys.
              -Allen

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I had the same thing and it turned out to be my transfer case skid was totally loose on one side and kept smacking the "frame" . wierd stuff
                87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
                ~ Dave Howell

Comment

i dont have a skid... yet, but if you look at my exhaust right where the front DS is, it smacked the hell out of the exaust pipe its freakin all bent to hell. its OK im gonna throw a gibson on there anyways.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Check your tranny mount & your motor mounts!
                    From A Champ To A Chump In Just One Bump!

Comment

Ill make sure to look at those too. thanks KS

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yes... definetly check your mounts. I found that one of the motor mounts on my xj is half gone!!! As a result I get a bad knocking when I romp on the throttle in first gear. I know that the torque of the motor is making the transfer case and front drive line hitting the underside of the cab.
                        MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
                        D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking
                          i dont have a skid... yet, but if you look at my exhaust right where the front DS is, it smacked the hell out of the exaust pipe its freakin all bent to hell. its OK im gonna throw a gibson on there anyways.
                          For the record (i know this is an old post butta)....The exhaust is supposed to be that way from the factory.
                          Aloha from NorCal

Comment

Yeah i know that now... this is a way old post hahaha it turned to to be my tranny mount and that is going to be fixed soon i already got my daystar mount from 4west for it.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X