Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Board welder under $100

I just got done installing this set up on my Jeep and I just had to tell everyone here. I found this guys site while just crusing the net. He has a page that shows ho to make a welder out of an alternator. The an actual on board welder. I was a bit sceptical myself but on good faith I tried it out. Sure enought it works. Heres the link http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/on-board-welder.html

Heres what I did.
    1. Went to pick-a-part pulled an alternater out of an early 80s cadillac. (They have high output alternator 100amp+)
    2. Went to auto zone had them test the alternator, dont want to do a buch of work to find I had a bum alt. While there I picked up a rocker switch and some wire.
    3. Went to radio shack and got the resistors 2x 1ohm 10 watt. Jon talks about mounting them on a heat sink.
    4. Pulled the alternator apart removed the excite diode and the plastic shielding of the appropriate screw and put it back together.
    5. wired the resisters in series to the switch, then the switch to the #1 stud of the alt.
    6. Mounted the alternater and belt.
    7. Removed one of the pos. clips off the jumper cables and replaced with the rod holder.
    8. Clipped the pos clip to the Batt stud on the back of the alt. and grounded to the alt case.
    9. Wound up the idle to about 2000 rpm ( you need this much to get enough power out of the alt to weld.)
    10. Clipped the ground to the metal and went to town.
    Worked like a champ. I still have to work out the best set up but My test weld was to weld 2 pieces of 3/16 angle together.

Total Cost
    Alternater: $25
    Wire, switch and resisers: $10
    Welding Rod holder: $16
    20' 2guage Jumper cables: $45 (Dont skimp here)
    If you need Welding gloves, mask, and rod you may go over $100 but its still a bargain.

If I ever get this pic thing figured out I will post some pics for you all. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. colocowboy76@aol.com

Happy Jeeping All
    Jeff

Last edited by colocowboy76; 05-30-06, 10:15 PM. Reason: pics
    Jeff
    Banning
    75 cj5 258ci 31" yokahamas soon to have an aussie front locker.

Very nice looking bead for a measly Franklin! Can you show the underside or a cut-through to see how it penetrated?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Ill have to work on that, I ran a bead on both sides. As for penetration it is pretty good. I would assume that it is directly related to that amp rating of the alternator you install. It s alot like setting an ac welder on about 80 amps I think. good enought to do most jobs, and I think that I will get better with a little practice just like anything. I will work on getting a cutaway.
      Jeff
      Banning
      75 cj5 258ci 31" yokahamas soon to have an aussie front locker.

Comment

Hay Jeff
        Have you seen anything on this for a newer Jeep? looks like this is all set up for the old style stuff.
        "You sold a reverberating carbonizor with mutate capacity to an unlicensed cepholoid"?

Comment

Working...
        X