Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket lap Belts

Wanna put some Lap belts in the jeep. Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks..
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Go with the 5 point, but remember you'll have to bolt the shoulder harness behind the seat to the floor. Also keep the stock belt hardware and attach to the new seat riser/slider. That way you can wear the stock belt when not off roading, cause the 5 point gets to be a pain putting on and off just for regular driving. I'd also get the "Y series" (which describes how the shoulder harness' are shaped). I think they're more comfortable.
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Please, please dont bolt anything that goes over your shoulders to the floor. It's a sure way to die, or get seriously hurt, in a serious roll. Follow your manufactures specs, which is typically 0-10 degrees below the top of the shoulders.

also, dont buy cheap ass belts (i.e. ricer style), get something with an SFI tag that has a little quality to it.

JL, you might want to check with the MFG of your belts. I'm almost 100% positive that mounting them to the floor in not correct.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

But if you just want a lap belt because you are sick of the stock belt locking at the worst time when you get back in the jeep on an incline and can't get the belt on, or if it pulls you too hard ...

... you can use the small plastic spring loaded aligator clip trick that you clip on the bottom of the belt to prevent it from pulling into the mechanism on the floor. Then when you get out on the trail, the belt just hangs there in the extended position, ready to be latched when you get back.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I had the same idea a few years back. for starters, I just wanted a lap belt for the trail so i could move around but still be streapped in, so i hit ORW and got a Crow industries 2" Lap belt for about 40 bucks, plus the mounting hardware. then, later i went back and picked up one for the passenger side, and a set of Deist shoulder harnesses and crotch biters to add in
          YJ Master
          Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
            Please, please dont bolt anything that goes over your shoulders to the floor. It's a sure way to die, or get seriously hurt, in a serious roll. Follow your manufactures specs, which is typically 0-10 degrees below the top of the shoulders.

also, dont buy cheap ass belts (i.e. ricer style), get something with an SFI tag that has a little quality to it.

JL, you might want to check with the MFG of your belts. I'm almost 100% positive that mounting them to the floor in not correct.
            Ooo, I'll check that!
            Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

I added 3" simpson lap belts. It makes it a lot easier when rock crawling. I got mine from Summit racing.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

thanks for the responses evryone. I am going to go through the summit racing site today. I am only going for the lap belt becuase I dont like the idea of being completly strapped in my seat not being able to move my body around to see whats going on.
                Supe
                97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

VERY good idea on avoiding the 5-point harness for casual offroading. They hold you so securely you can't move around or lean out to see the line you are driving. Not to mention they are a PITA to use and uncomfortable. I used to wear a 5-point harness in some aircraft and they were pretty uncomfortable most of the time.

Just get a 3" aircraft-style lapbelt and you'll be real happy with it. I found mine in a dunebuggy shop. Remember to use backing plates where you mount it to the floor.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                    I added 3" simpson lap belts. It makes it a lot easier when rock crawling. I got mine from Summit racing.
                    What kind of fastener did you end up getting and do you like it?
                    Supe

Comment

Aircraft syle. Very easy in and out. Works great.
                      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                        What kind of fastener did you end up getting and do you like it?
                        I could not be happier with my set up.... and it's exactly like described.

It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                          thanks for the responses evryone. I am going to go through the summit racing site today. I am only going for the lap belt becuase I dont like the idea of being completly strapped in my seat not being able to move my body around to see whats going on.
                          There is a reason your upper body isn't supposed to flop around, you know that, right?
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                            There is a reason your upper body isn't supposed to flop around, you know that, right?
                            To me, being in a rollover with just a lap belt seems scary. I would rather be completly strapped in. At the same time though I dont think I will like to strap all the way in everytime I get in and out of my Jeep. I know safety should be first though.

Blaine, are you running a 5 point?
                            Supe

Comment

well thats why i have the five points. for general trail ridsing and easier obsticales, i just wear the lap belkt. but when I get to something gnarly that I am concerned I might roll on, I strap in the shoulder harnesses and crotch biter. thats what I like about the 5 points, you can really use any components you want. Just the lap belt, the lap and shoulder belts, the lap and crotch biter, or the full harness
                              YJ Master
                              Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X