Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CJ7 buildup questions - What would you do?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ7 buildup questions - What would you do?

Hey, I'm kinda new and have some questions. I have a quadrajunk CJ7 with an AMC 360 and turbo 400. I am thinking Atlas 4:1, a tranny rebuild is on the way, swapping out CJ springs for wider YJ springs with a shackle reversal, and I am looking at D 44's out of a Scout (front and rear) with disk brakes conversion all around. I have read up on some threads about good and bad response from this swap. I can pick them up way cheap, regear to 456 and add an air locker front and back way cheaper than I have been able to locate anything else. I also hear of people going to Waggoneer 44's. What's the diff? Is a 44 a 44 or am I missing something here?

This is not a rock crawler, just a trail rig. I want it to be capable, and I only want to build it once. Any help is very appreciated. I love this site.

sounds like some good plans to me. i went with the wagoneer 44s mainly cause they were easier to get. what size tires do you plan on running? i run 4.56 on my jeep with 35s and i can crawl(not as slow as i want but cant complain) and still go the speed limit.
    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

I want to run a full size 35" tire. Probably MTR's. I've had them on my F-250 for a while now and really like them. They're super tough.

Comment

Save the money on the Atlas.. Just up grade to a dana 300 (ditch the quadratrack) Put warn hubs and full detroits. Arb =$$
        Scout 44 front have a zero caster( except later models 80ish) the waggy will be fine but read below. Also what are you doing for lift? Spring over or under?

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...light=waggy+44
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Ouch.... Headache from that thread. I hate math and numbers. LOL, good info there. Thanks a lot.

I am just going to spring over with stock YJ springs replacing the old worn out CJ factory springs currently on it right now. The reason I was asking about the Scout 44's is because I found a great pair of 44's front and rear I can pick up very reasonable.

I thought hard on the Dana 300 with a tera low, however, I feel it will pay off long term to go with Atlas 4:1.
          Last edited by HuntTX; 05-16-06, 11:43 AM.

Comment

The scout will work, you just need to grind off the knuckels to set in the proper caster. You can just weld the perches on but that wouldn't be a good idea. What are you going to do for steering?
            Head nut at Outdoorlogic
            Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
            www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

The waggy dana 44 in the back is not centered.
              My CJ7 SOA with YJ spings is mostly done. I am sending flat top knuckles to parts mike for histeer. I have a cherokee widetack dana 44 cutdown. it leaves it right at 59 inches wide and still no need for outbouarding the springs. I am using YJ rear spings all around with an extra main leaf in the rear spring packs, and a new set of CJ rear spring hangers on the front to get the 2 1/2 inch wide mount. ford front shock mounts.

Turning the knuckles is not that hard.
              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

if i ever bought a CJ7 i would build it like this:

its basically unbreakable (my buddys dads)

1976 cj7 (1st year)
                ford 9 inches F/R
                turbo 350
                custom Madkins frame
                35 inch tires
                lockers f/r
                air
                winch
                rescently black diamond coild over conversion
                and atlas t-case
                this thing is a tank!

nothing fancy, just built to wheel, and NOT break
                Last edited by miguelitojeep97; 05-19-06, 04:29 PM.
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Well, my problems are solved for now. I am heading out this weekend to pick up my new Rubicon. The CJ7 is gonna have to wait.

Comment

Working...
                  X