Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My diff is hot to the touch...problem?

I just put in new axles and had them regeared. I went for a 5 minute test run and everything felt and sounded normal. Actually, I didn't hear anything...which is normal.

When I got home I got under the jeep and touched the diff. It was really hot. Is this normal? I assume that it is. After the gears are "broken in" will the diff still get hot?
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

The diffs do get hot, but especially hot during break in. Did they give you any break in instructions? Run it 20 minutes and then let it cool off completely? Some thing like that…
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Hot to the touch sounds normal. If they were too hot to touch and burning the paint off your diff cover I'd be concerned.

I asked this same question several years ago after a regear and was told then that its normal. Never had any problems with that gear set

Comment

Yes, they do get hot. The instructions I got from my axle shop said stop every 20 miles and cool off for the first 60-100 miles, then every 50-60 miles up to 500 miles. Then change the oil. Mine got so hot you couldn't hold your finger on it, I'd say at least 140 degrees. Made me wonder too.

I have about 6000 on that axle now and it works great. Except that I had to drill out the carrier at the axle tubes per ARB install instructions as it was puking oil out the breather on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
          Yes, they do get hot. The instructions I got from my axle shop said stop every 20 miles and cool off for the first 60-100 miles, then every 50-60 miles up to 500 miles. Then change the oil. Mine got so hot you couldn't hold your finger on it, I'd say at least 140 degrees. Made me wonder too.

I have about 6000 on that axle now and it works great. Except that I had to drill out the carrier at the axle tubes per ARB install instructions as it was puking oil out the breather on the freeway.
          That is how mine feels too! I won't worry about it. I will do the break in thing.
          Last edited by paultyler; 05-08-06, 10:33 PM.
          92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
            Hot to the touch sounds normal. If they were too hot to touch and burning the paint off your diff cover I'd be concerned.
            The rear diff on my TJ gets so hot it burned the [OE] paint off of the cover in under 5000 miles (bought it new). 60K later, still no problems with it.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
              I just put in new axles and had them regeared. I went for a 5 minute test run and everything felt and sounded normal. Actually, I didn't hear anything...which is normal.

When I got home I got under the jeep and touched the diff. It was really hot. Is this normal? I assume that it is. After the gears are "broken in" will the diff still get hot?
              How hot did the diff get before you swapped gears?
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                How hot did the diff get before you swapped gears?
                I don't remember ever checking. From what I have heard, in this thread and in speaking to my mechanic, the heat is normal. I will go easy on it for a while, change the fluid after 500 miles, and not worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                  The rear diff on my TJ gets so hot it burned the [OE] paint off of the cover in under 5000 miles (bought it new). 60K later, still no problems with it.
                  Yea, I've seen several new vehicles with the diff paint burnt off.

It would concern me...

Comment

I would not worry about it. I don't think to many people follow any type of gear break in when they drive their new vehicle off the lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X