Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Overheating

Kyles CJ is overheating and its not summer yet. New radiator, water pump and thermostat. Still overheating. It is an old engine but otherwise runs fine. Any suggestions.

Can shops do power flushes on engine blocks? If so, find one that does. There may be some junk or air pocket in there. If you havent already, put a mechanical gauge on there, elec. gauges cant be trusted. Also, take the thermostat out, I've seen brand new ones fail. Does it have a fan clutch, is the clutch tight? Cooling problems suck! Good luck.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

How's the timing chain or valve timing, that can make things run hot if everything else checks out.

Comment

I second tom's comment. too much timming advance will cause the Jeep to run awesome, but cause it to run hot. Same with the carb being too lean.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Check the vacium lines, and the intake for leaks.(loose bolts)

Check rotation on the fan, CJ's come with both ways. put a piece of paper on the front of the raditor should have lots of air pull. Rotation depends on a fan belt or serpetine belt. (same for water pump's)

a note on the timing, my 1983 CJ set's timing at 1200rpm's with vacium line to distrubitor plugged and computor unplugged. (I failed smogged once because the smog tech said my timing was off) He got a lesson on Jeep 101
          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

The fan is pulling air well. dont know how to check the fan clutch, it will spin in either dirrection easily. I'll try some kind of power flush and pull the thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2
              The fan is pulling air well. dont know how to check the fan clutch, it will spin in either dirrection easily. I'll try some kind of power flush and pull the thermostat.
              The clutch should engage from the heat coming from the raditor. Warm the engine up by driving around. With the engine hot shut the engine and try to move the fan blades. If you can replace your clutch on the fan.

Sounds like to me your clutch in the fan is out.
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...
              X