Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Fans

Got a quick question that you guys can probably answer. Do electric colling fans really help with anything? They state to increase HP, and Torque also says that they help with gas mileage and extend the life of the water pump. Are there any benefits to getting one of these or is the stock radiator gunna perform the same. Also would any problems come about if I did install a e-fan with a BL.
    A7X
    -Kodiak Wintergreen
    -1997 SE Raingler
    -31" BFG AT's
    -2" BB and 1" BL coming soon
    -Custom Exhaust
    -750 watt Sub and Amp

I have a CJ with a 4.0, I put a fex-a-lite fan kit on it when I swapped engines. Their kits bolt in nicely, but are not cheap.

Personally, I would not have installed them without needing to. The 4.0 had an offset fan and in my case the electric fan fit better.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

I'm mainly wondering about if their are any gains that come about from installing and electric fan. BTW 1997 SE 5spd
      A7X
      -Kodiak Wintergreen
      -1997 SE Raingler
      -31" BFG AT's
      -2" BB and 1" BL coming soon
      -Custom Exhaust
      -750 watt Sub and Amp

Comment

A little information from previous postings.

PAST POST:
        After all of the information provided by my fellow Jeepers I installed the Flex-a-Lite #150 Black Magic fan. (1989 YJ 4.2) The extra airflow and heavier duty motor looked like the ticket. I also called Flex-a-Lite and picked up the nice aluminum mounting brackets that usually come with the #475 Wrangler 2 which made the install secure and sanitary. The only problem with the #150 is the extra ½ inch depth over the #475 Wrangler 2 that was caused by the larger fan motor. A little customizing was needed where the radiator mounts to the body, which gained ¾ inch forward movement of the radiator, giving me the clearance I need. I installed a 160-degree motor thermostat in addition to the adjustable fan thermostat; rock crawl cooling no longer is a problem. The nice part is one simple turn of the adjustment knob and I can select the temperature I want. This weekend the desert rock crawl testing with air temperature up to 100 degrees went off with out a hitch and I’m happy. There was also a noticeable increase in throttle response and hill climbing power on road.

UPDATE:
        Four or so months later and now it the start of the summer heat waves.
        The Flex-a-Lite #150 has been installed for several months of street and off road driving. The outside air temperatures have climbed and it's summer testing time. So far the installation of the electric fan has been worth the effort. Power increase has been tested well (I live on a very long/steep hill that, because of gearing, creates the need to run in second gear/max speed (Automatic trans) while climbing to the top. The removal of the clutch fan and installation of the electric fan added an additional 9mph on that climb) During off road, freeway traffic and highway motoring, temperatures run at a cool 165 degrees without fluctuation. (160 is where I have the automatic fan start) I have reset the unit to run with the key switch because the noise at 2am (Coming home late) of the fan running after shut off is annoying. The addition of a under dash on/ off switch for river crossings works, but has not been needed. (The fan unit is designed for water abuse although my concern was the wire terminal block on the fan shroud shorting out)

All in all, this upgrade for me rates an A+.

Comment

Working...
        X