Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Optima - Terminal ?

Just picked up a yellow top finally. How ironic that my starting problems have gone away DOH!

I have been looking for some side terminals and ways to properly plug in my accessories and noticed there are a ton of products out there and I am not familiar with electronics really all that much. Can anyone point me in the right direction picking out some terminals. Are they all fairly similar? All I really have to the battery is my winch, cb, and york OBA. I know the winch goes on the top.

Also, I know there is a better way than directly attaching the wire to the terminal. Is that the most commen set up without having to spend too much money?

Thanks for any pointers.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

I run a 6 fuse panel mounted of the fire wall. Run a # 10 wire to the fuse block and plug in the extras. I run my CB,Ham Radio and air compressor as well as my GPS off the panel. Don't remember where I bought. But should be available at most parts stores

Comment

Whatever you do, do NOT wire the winch to the side terminals of the yellow top. It'll probably ruin the battery and void the warranty. The side terminals are not meant for the very high draw of a winch from what I understand. But as far as either type of terminal, you can get them readily at any auto parts store and even places like Walmart.

If you ask me, they are all pretty much the same. And with the yellow top, corrosion hasn't ever been a problem with even the cheapest terminals. I've been running yellow tops in various vehicles for about 10 years now. The only thing I don't like about the yellow top is that it doesn't seem to hold charge for as long as a regular battery when left sitting for a while (it gets worse and worse as the years go by). But it has a lot of other advantages so I can't really complain much.
      Last edited by seapahn; 04-13-06, 08:39 PM.
      03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

X2 on Seafawn

Winch on main battery posts, starter and power feed on side terms. It's not only for current draw but also duration. We run the starter for a few seconds but we might be winching for minutes or longer :yay: :yay: :yay:

I also upgraded cables and connections. Got the stuff from www.wranglernw.com
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

The side posts use standard bolts and/or the same connectors like most GM vehicles come with. I just used standard bolts for my side terminals.

And like the others said, don't connect a winch to the side posts of an Optima.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
            And like the others said, don't connect a winch to the side posts of an Optima.
            Unless that's the optimal place to make the connection and you have a proper sized jumper from them to the top terminals.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE

Also, I know there is a better way than directly attaching the wire to the terminal. Is that the most commen set up without having to spend too much money?

There's also better ways to make butt splices other than just twisting the wire together and letting them hang out under the hood, but we wouldn't know anything about that.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                Unless that's the optimal place to make the connection and you have a proper sized jumper from them to the top terminals.
                Which is how I ran mine for years, via a pair of battery-gauge jumper cables that connected the side posts to the top posts.

If you're gonna run an Optima Yellow Top and want to use the side posts for a winch, the use of a pair of jumper cables is required.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                  There's also better ways to make butt splices other than just twisting the wire together and letting them hang out under the hood, but we wouldn't know anything about that.
                  I dont know what your talking about, Blaine... who would do something like that :dunno:
                  Supe
                  97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

I picked up some side posts and new terminals and connectors for some wiring. It will be installed tonight. Thanks for you help guys! I will try to post a pic if I can remember...
                    Supe

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                      I picked up some side posts and new terminals and connectors for some wiring. It will be installed tonight. Thanks for you help guys! I will try to post a pic if I can remember...
                      Don't you worry, we'll remind you!
                      -Bob
                      '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Thanks for all your helps guys. I got everything istalled last night. The winch to the top and everything else to the sides. I found some cool wire connectors for a cleaner install too.
                        Supe

Comment

Working...
                        X