Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good engine mechanic

Ok... Here is the issue...

My jeep is a 2000 TJ 4.0L automatic. About 1 year ago the check engine light came on. I checked the code... 1st cylinder misfire. I was told that is was the ignition coil assemply. Replaced it and light came back on. When it first started the engine had a very slight roughness to it at high rpms over 3000. If I took of the neg cable and reset the computer it ran fine without a light. Then it came time to get it inspected. I couldn't with the check engine light on and it would come back in less than 100 miles so I couldn't get it smogged. I took it to the dealer. Then had no idea what was wrong with it. Everything checked out. No computer or injector problems. They had it for a week. Finally then said they thought it was carbon build up which there was a TSB on but they were not certain. I used a ton of both the Chrysler carbon cleaner and Seafoam. It didn't really change the way the Jeep drove but I was able to drive it 101 miles and pull into the smog station. It passed...

Another six months have passed and the engine has slowly ran a little worse (runs a bit rougher). Now the light comes on within 60 miles and there are 2 cylinder misfires. In addition if I just drive it with the light on, I will go to start it and it will run super rough and I can't run the engine past 2999 rpm. As soon as it hits 3K it kicks down and then revs back up and so forth. If I take the neg cable off and put it back on it runs fine but there is still that slight roughness. No lack of pickup or anything. The dealer did mention that the 1st cylinder (the cylinder with the misfire) had lower compression but was still within spec.

It has gotten to a point where I can't just keep removing the negative cable all the time. I am prepared to do a valve job if necessary but I certainly don't want to do anything that isn't necessary.

I think I am at the point where I would like to take it to a local shop and I may put in a stroker motor...

Can anyone point me to a reputable, reasonably priced, honest mechanic that knows jeeps...

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott Poliseno
    www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

try sending a PM to user 'MJR'- he's a full-time Jeep mech. and might be persuaded to take a look at your Jeep it might be a bit of a drive for you since he's in OC, but he's no-BS and really knows his stuff.

Comment

MJR contacted me and he seems very nice but really is a ways away from where I am. I haven't ruled out taking the Jeep down there but I would prefer someone a little more local. Does anyone know someone a little local to the riverside, Inland Empire area?

Thanks,

Scott
      Scott Poliseno
      www.4x4garage.com

Comment

There is a shop right off of 15fwy in Corona. It's on Temescal Cyn Road. The sign reads 4x4 parts and installation, owners name is John. I'll be driving by on Wed. and I'll get the full name.

You can also try Scotty's Wrecking in Fontana. I think they also do repairs.

L1
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]ANGRY MIDDLE CLASS WHITE GUY![/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry...drove right by the place off the 15fwy and didn't even think to look...

L1

Comment

Found it. The shop is All 4 Wheel in Corona, John is the owners name. He helped me out with w new retainer ring for my SYE kit. He's got a couple of Jeeps in the shop.

All 4 Wheel Drive
            21765 Temescal Canyon Rd
            Corona, CA 92883

(951) 277-1037

L1

Comment

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!

Scott
              Scott Poliseno
              www.4x4garage.com

Comment

Working...
              X