Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issues in '90 YJ

Has anyone had a problem with an intermittent short affecting the turn signals, hazards, and brake lights? I am having a hard time tracking it down since it isn't constant.

Our poor YJ's

We should get these two together cuz they seem to have a lot of the same problems. Mine is a hack and slash outfitter came through cutting what he didn't want, but unfortunately I still need! I'm not having your particular problem, but the rain a couple weeks back reminded me that I need to get the wife's windshield wipers working.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

WOW! I think the same guy owned this one too! Lots of duct tape splices....

By the way, our wipers aren't working either....

Comment

classic!

Guess that counts us out on any BB rain runs! Have you ever taken the canyon route up to BB? BJnRAE were talking about it a couple weeks back and it sounds like something I'd like to do in the future. Not now because the 1 running Jeep has no doors or heater.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ChucknTammy
          Has anyone had a problem with an intermittent short affecting the turn signals, hazards, and brake lights? I am having a hard time tracking it down since it isn't constant.
          The common link here is in the steering column. the little plastic piece with brass connection. Pull your steering wheel and chase the plasic piece down by following the turn signal arm. Clean points of contact, cross your fingers and hope it works.
          my :2:
          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

A quick update. I have replaced the flasher units and the turn signal / hazard switch. Worked good at night, but blew half the fuses first thing in the morning. So I pulled the dash completely apart (lotsa fun there) and cracked the harness open. I am in the process of checking continuity point to point on the harness.

I have found the wiper problem, so some good news out of this mess.

By the way, if there is any Jeep electrical engineers on this forum? Maybe we can meet in a secluded location to "discuss" basic electrical theory? ;-p

Comment

Need help with tranny issue. Have unbolted the tranny on my 91 Wrangler but it wont back off. Do I need to get rough with it to get it off???

Comment

Originally posted by richndeb95
                Need help with tranny issue. Have unbolted the tranny on my 91 Wrangler but it wont back off. Do I need to get rough with it to get it off???
                Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Take it from someone who has made this mistake: Never force it! If it won't go, put the tools down, go inside and have a cool beverage of choice, and try to forget about it for a bit. After a bit, go back out and look at it before even picking up a wrench. Check for such things as a forgotten bolt. If your missed a spot with the pressure washure there could be a bolt hiding under mud / gunk / road grime. I have never dropped this tranny (yet), so I don't have any specific guidance as to what the problem might be.

Comment

Thanks....Finally got it off it was hung up on the guide bolt...This is my first transmission take off and it is not fun at all. Would you happen to know the torque specs on the plate????

Comment

I can look them up with a coupla quick details: Which tranny? Do you mean the flex plate? If you don't know for sure which tranny, engine size and whether it's an auto or stick will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
                      classic!

Guess that counts us out on any BB rain runs! Have you ever taken the canyon route up to BB? BJnRAE were talking about it a couple weeks back and it sounds like something I'd like to do in the future. Not now because the 1 running Jeep has no doors or heater.
                      It'll be warm very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
                        classic!

Ive been up 2N02 several times, once even in the jeep! Several years back I went over the top thru pipes canyon, before they shut it down. That was an incredible trip!

Still haven't isolated that short....

Almost ready to burn it down for the insurance money!

Comment

OK, looks like no insurance fraud. I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I have located the short. There was an aftermarket hitch on the jeep that I had removed a coupla years ago but never got around to removing the trailer light plug in. At the grommet above the left rear tail light the trailer light harness had rubbed through inside the grommet and was making contact with the body. When I removed the harness, I found that it was spliced together with duct tape again! *SIGH* Nothing that some more solder and liquid tape can't fix but I am REALLY getting tired of the electrical problems. Since the entire inside of the jeep harness is apart, I am taking the opportunity to fix all the ugly wiring problems I come across.

Hopefully I will have it put back together and running by this weekend....

Comment

Good to hear that the POS is making progress.
                            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
                              Good to hear that the POS is making progress.
                              Yes I am....

Or did you mean the jeep?

Comment

Working...
                              X