Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight case-o-the bumpsteer

Just lifted my 2000 TJ Sport with a RE 3.5 Standard lift (just springs and brackets & such. no control arms) And I've noticed a slight case-o-the bumpsteer. Will installing a steering stablizer help to reduce or do I need to look at a more reconstructive solution? I have NOT dropped the pitman arm for the steering.

I usally run 31's all terrians for daily freeway driving, and I run a set of 33's BFG mudders for off roading excursions.

Any help/advice/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Check your toe-in, chances are it out from the lift and if that's not the cure then maybe upper adjustable control arms.
    Your toe-in should be about 1/8" total toe-in, I'm at 3/16" w/33" presently working fine.

B&T TJ

Comment

is the drag link at about the same angle as the trac bar? The drop pitman may be the cure.
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

It's unusual for bumpsteer to develop on a TJ with that size lift with the factory Pitman arm. What symptoms are you having that you're describing as bump steer? And have you centered the axle and steering wheel?
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

check the alignment. My TJ did this to untill I adjusted toe-in. Might want to consider a pitman arm to with a 3.5" lift
          90 YJ, 40" MTR's, 102 WB, 5.13's, 4.1, & stuff

Comment

with a 3.5" lift I am going to doubt it is the pitman arm, and suggest an alignment.

I had bumpsteer after the install of my 4" lift. I got the alighnment... still had bumpsteer.

I ditched the drop pitman arm and got another alignment.

No more bumpsteer.

I am not a fan of drop pitman arms for TJs, the DPA should be a last resort.
            Last edited by mparker; 03-30-06, 02:40 PM. Reason: I can't type worth a damn...

Comment

Originally posted by mparker
              I had bumpsteer after the install of my 4" lift. I got the alighnment... still had bumpsteer.

I ditched the drop pitman arm and got another alignment.

No more bumpsteer.
              It's having unnecessarily installed the dropped Pitman arm that probably accounts for 99.9% of all bumpsteer in TJs.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
              X