Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front track bar

Thinking about removing my front track bar to gain some more flex. Got ride of sway bar long time ago. I was just wondering if losing the track bar would give me more flex and what would it do to my on road driveability? I took off the rear track bar and didn't seem to make a diffrence in handeling and gave me more flexin the rear. What do the experts say on this?

Edit: Never mind that made no sense after I re-read it.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

what does't make sense about it? why question is will removing the front track bar on my yj give me more flex and not ruin my on road drivability?

Comment

What I posted made no sense thats why I removed it. Has nothing to do with your question.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Sorry Nagal.

Comment

How do you use your jeep? Is it for offroad only or is it a daily driver or what?
            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

both. It is on the trail almost every weekend but i still drive the 8 miles to work every day with it. I have another car i do long trips in. NO trailer or tow rig so i have to drive it to the far away trails.

Comment

In my experience removing the front track bar (and rear for that matter) makes virtually no difference in road performance.

The sway bar does make a significant difference - but you already removed that!

You just have to drive it like a Jeep and not a Porsche

Suspension: 4" supension and 1" body
                Are you still running the stock track bar with a 4" lift? If so the track bar is probably pulling the axle to the passenger side because it is too short :poop:
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

lift came with a brackett to rasie the track bar mount on the axle. It is the stock track bar.

I never thought of the track bar pulling the axle over. This could be a possibilty since the brackett only raised the mount 2 1/2 inches in stead of four.

When ever I am out wheeling it feels like I am constantly on only one front tire when I start Flexing. It is like something is keeping my passenger side tire fromm reaching full drop. It looks cool to have 1 tire in the air every time i crawll over a rock but i feel it would be better if that tire was allowed to come down and grab the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj
                    When ever I am out wheeling it feels like I am constantly on only one front tire when I start Flexing. It is like something is keeping my passenger side tire fromm reaching full drop. It looks cool to have 1 tire in the air every time i crawll over a rock but i feel it would be better if that tire was allowed to come down and grab the trail.
                    My guess is the track bar is the prob. The track bar swings through and arc, this is not an issue if it is parallel to the ground and the wheel is only moving a small amount - like on the road.

However, off road as the passenger tire drops, the track bar forces the axle to the drivers side. With a decent lift and some big rocks it will likely bind up the shackles preventing the springs from drooping.

Dump the POS

Comment

Consider it gone.

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj
                        Consider it gone.
                        :thumbs_up :wrench: :devil:

As I understand it a track bar keeps the axle centered under the vehicle during high cornering loads. How this applies to a Jeep, I'm not exactly sure :confused:

Comment

On a Yj the axle is connected to the leaf springs attached to the frame. The jeep goes where the axle goes regardless. If you ever looked at the track bars on a YJ they came from the factory with the front attached to the drivers side frame rail and passenger side axle. the rear was passenger frame rail and drivers side rear axle. The opposing forces keep the jeep flat to the road reducing roll over.

On a TJ with coils the front axle will drive away from the jeep and when you turn the wheels the jeep will go one way and the axle the other if there is nothing there to keep the axle centered.

I will take it off and see how it handles. I just try to keep it under 60 around the corners.

Comment

In agreement, remove it you will get quite a bit more wheel travel. Just take it a bit slower on the street when cornering. You may also want to put your (anti)sway bar back on and just get some quick disconects.:beer: :thumbs_up
                            I have a Jeep

Comment

Took mine off ~7-8 years ago & never looked back.

Mine isn't a daily driver & rarely sees the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X