Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CJ-5 or M38A1??How do I ID a military jeep?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ-5 or M38A1??How do I ID a military jeep?

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 1963 Willys.Of course the past owner says it was military.That wasn't the selling point for me, only a bonus.I'm just interested in a good off road vehichle that I can have a good time restoring.What I need to know is if it was really military or not.

It has a small removable section on the passenger side of the hood where a snorkel would go through.On the passenger side of the tub in front of the "doorway" is a (approx) 7-8" circular hole where something went.underneath where the passenger seat was is a toolbox or compartment.On the underside there are a few coats of olive drab.I think it was only a 12 volt system but I can't be sure since the generator/alternator is missing.It's on 16 inch wheels right now but I dont think that means much.

I have the serial number off of the plate on the driver side of the engine compartment...

I'd like to know whether or not this is a CJ-5 or a military jeep so I know which scheme to go with.I think it would be kind of fakish to put military accesories on a civvy jeep.Either way I'm going to have some fun with this but I want it to be right.

does it have a split window with wipers on the top?
    the cut out on the hood is common on both M38a1s and cj5s, they are the same jeep with a few changes for the civialain market. infact the m38a1 came out before the cj5
    I would need a few more pics to tell
    however the frond window will be a big factor
    what engine does it have?
    one more thing, in 65 Kiaser stated putting the words kiaser jeep on the universal. is this stamped into the steel?
    Last edited by blackZZR; 03-13-06, 06:29 PM.
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

idk if the cj5's had the "door" under the passenger seat or not, but i believe that was for a gun stand to hook up to. i almost bought a m38-a1 but did not quite have to money, i was pissed, cool jeeps.

according to this website.....it would be a cj5 tho
      http://www.geocities.com/xj88driver/serialnumbers.htm

57 - cj models
      5 - CJ5; Cowl & Windshield (SW, SD, & Truck)
      4 - 4-134 F-head
      8 - 4X4
      with the rest being the serial numbers
      Last edited by jermy01; 03-17-06, 12:20 PM.
      1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

This issue has been resolved.On the M38A1 the spring shackles are at the rear of the front springs.CJ-5 has them in the front.On the tub you'll have no tailgate.Also on a CJ-5 under seat tool box there will be a Jeep logo stamped into the metal, not on the M38A1 though.For the front end on an M38A1 the headlights will be recessed.

Hope this will help someone.

Comment

Working...
        X