Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual oil filters

Does anybody run dual oil filters?

I am interested in trying it, for some better filtration and maybe some oil cooling effect.

Thanks...
    That's a BIG rock!

Originally posted by Bachman

I am interested in trying it, for some better filtration and maybe some oil cooling effect.

Thanks...
    What about just running a single remote filter that runs through a cooler?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I think that upgrade to any intake filtration would benenfit more than extra oil filter,
      or a filter with a smaller micron rating
      2 filters only filter out the smallest size of impurity of the better filter, you could filter for days and still only clean to a certain size, plus, beleive it or not, the dirtier a filter is the better it filters, thats why a way dirty one does no good, it filters so good even the oil does not get thru
      so, in order to increase the effientcy of a filter system , you do not add filters, you decrease the size of particulate matter it will let thru.
      also you can filter the places air is let into a block
      bel;eive me there are many places that let air in or out of your engine so that the preasures can remain constant and the engine opperates, you can install small filters in these areas, Ask any racer that does Landspeed racing, he has little filters hanging off his engine to protect from the El Mirage dirt or Bonneville salt. Now we also run in areas of extremem dust, so it would make sense to do these areas, that is if you are up to doing them, takes a bit of engineering to do a few and you have to disconnect smog to do others.
      Here is another thing to figure about extra oil filters, A oil filter only filters after the contaminent is in the filter, that means already going thru the engine, already doing damage, controlling the areas it gets there would be a far better idea than extra filtration.
      then about oil cooling, a extra filter helps little, a oil cooler would do much better
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

The cooler idea souds like a good one. A better( smaller micron) filter sounds good as well. I run a mobil 1 filter now, any ideas on filters that are more efficient? As far as the intake goes I run a stock type (Fram) filter in the stock air box.
        That's a BIG rock!

Comment

I run stock oil filter and stock air filter
          just change the oil every 3 gs and blow out the air filter after each wheeling trip
          You could do a internet search for a better oil filter

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
            I think that upgrade to any intake filtration would benenfit more than extra oil filter,
            or a filter with a smaller micron rating
            2 filters only filter out the smallest size of impurity of the better filter, you could filter for days and still only clean to a certain size, plus, beleive it or not, the dirtier a filter is the better it filters, thats why a way dirty one does no good, it filters so good even the oil does not get thru
            so, in order to increase the effientcy of a filter system , you do not add filters, you decrease the size of particulate matter it will let thru.
            also you can filter the places air is let into a block
            bel;eive me there are many places that let air in or out of your engine so that the preasures can remain constant and the engine opperates, you can install small filters in these areas, Ask any racer that does Landspeed racing, he has little filters hanging off his engine to protect from the El Mirage dirt or Bonneville salt. Now we also run in areas of extremem dust, so it would make sense to do these areas, that is if you are up to doing them, takes a bit of engineering to do a few and you have to disconnect smog to do others.
            Here is another thing to figure about extra oil filters, A oil filter only filters after the contaminent is in the filter, that means already going thru the engine, already doing damage, controlling the areas it gets there would be a far better idea than extra filtration.
            then about oil cooling, a extra filter helps little, a oil cooler would do much better
            I was of the understanding that the micron size of the filter media was based on the minimum oil film thickness in the journals thus disallowing any contact of the unfiltered particulates with any wear surfaces????
            I am Savvy.

Comment

humm, well it could be, I usually buy filters according to the size of particulate matter they can filter out, as in microns. so if you want to filter smaller matter you buy a filter with a smaller micron number.
              Now if the guage oil filters in a different way than they guage liquid filters then it could be.

Comment

Huh!!:confused:
                That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Huh!!:confused:
                  What are you confused about?
                  I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
                    humm, well it could be, I usually buy filters according to the size of particulate matter they can filter out, as in microns. so if you want to filter smaller matter you buy a filter with a smaller micron number.
                    Now if the guage oil filters in a different way than they guage liquid filters then it could be.

I perfectly understand, but at some point the filter media's resistance to mechanical failure from particulate overburden has to be accounted for. Going to a smaller filtered particulate size should dramatically decrease the service interval and without a bypass, the failure of the media would potentially be more detrimental than just circulating particulates that are too small to be damaging anyway.

There's a bunch more to filters than just arbitrarily picking a smaller micron size and running with it.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Thanks...
                      I now understand your confusion. Forget dual filters and all the other nonsense. Get a bypass filtration system and run it. It is the best way to reduce particulates in the oil.

Essentially it runs the normal oil stream through a regular filter. It has another filter that has much greater filtering abilities, but at the expense of being much slower. So, it takes a portion of the oil and runs it through the bypass filter producing much cleaner oil than just about any other way that's readily accessible.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

Apon checking with a freind who is in the feild I was told this
                        if you are worried about filtration doe to enviromental contaminants
                        get a filter that filters smaller particulate matter, don't use off brand filters
                        change it more often
                        there would be no cost benefit to a second flitering system
                        the filtering system in the jeep already has a preasure bypass system
                        the possiblity of a person who is concerned about filtration to clog a filter is about zelch, he would be changing it before that
                        run an cooler for cooling
                        oil is filtered after passing thru the system , that is where it picks up matter
                        it would be far more effective to filter the many areas air enters and leaves a engine than a secondary oil filtration system
                        if there was truely a benefit for secondary filtration, he amoung many other enginers would have developed one to sell to the sheep who wil buy anything

Comment

So it's a bypass filter system or buy a very efficient filter( able to trap very small particulate matter) and replace this filter more often...

Besides Amsoil who sells by-pass systems?
                          That's a BIG rock!

Comment

just drive the damn thing until the engine craps out, then put in a new one. these 4.0's are getting 200,000 miles+ using off the shelf stuff.
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                              just drive the damn thing until the engine craps out, then put in a new one. these 4.0's are getting 200,000 miles+ using off the shelf stuff.
                              Can you tell us how you really feel?
                              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                              X