Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 60 question

While at the junkyard the other day I spotted what appeared to be a dana 60 that looked very narrow. It was about 63" from the outside of the brake drums. Is this a useable width for my yj? What could this have come out of? What is required to make it a 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern?
    I have a Jeep

You can always have the thing retubed for any common axle width
    and buy your inner axles to fit, when you buy these you also have the axles drilled for the size you will need, ie: 5 on 5.5 or whatever
    can I ask, what size tires you are going to run, and if that 60 would be neccesary for them, that is a big pumpkin.
    A 93 inch wheel base is recommended to run up to 35 inch tires, 33s if a DD
    beyond that you are seriously going offbalance in such a roll prone vehicle anyway, Maybe looking for a d44 or a 8.8 might better fit the vehicle and with upraded axles would handle 35s with ease.
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

I just saw the 60 sitting there, it looked like it might be narrow enough for my jeep so I thought hey that might be an easy swap if it is a good width already. I wouldnt want to put the money that you are talking about with custom axle tubes and axle shafts. BTW what is an acceptable width for an axle in yj?
      I have a Jeep

Comment

you are going to be widening the track with that axle
        a YJs track is 60 inches
        the drum to drum on the 60 you saw is 63, making it 3 inches wider before rim offset and tire width is figured in.
        Usable? yes but if ya want to see how much clearence you are going to have to make for it, put the YJ on Jacks, measure drum to drum, look at where that will put your tires you have now in relation to wheel well and fenders.
        then you will have to take it to someone who will want to accept the liability to redrill it to you lug pattern, whiuch will mean either you, or them taking the axles out.
        what could it have come out of? anyones guess
        anytime you start trying to put that kind of axle under your jeep you are going have to "put that kind of money in it" probable the most cost affective swap out there is a ford non c clip 8.8 from a Exploder or the like, stay away from the automoble version such as a mustang 8.8, big difference in product. and buy it from someone you trust, you do not even want to be one of those guys who gets ripped off buying a 8.8 c clip thinking they were buying a flanged axle. Even then after gearing, new bearings and seals, plus a locker and lug pattern sizing you are going to be putting some dough into a axle.
        good luck

Comment

Also the dana 60 will not be a 5 on 4.5 lug pattern and it can not be made to fit one.
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

anytime you are considering a axle swap you need to consider the end use
            if that YJ is a dd, then a d60 is way overkill, plus it robs ground clearence
            With the internet comes every available idea, bad or good, being put out there, and every web wheeler in the world is CLAIMING to have this or that. However the best way to look at it is, what is my most use of said vehicle. If you are using it for a DD, then a D44 is about the best option out there, and after that a 8.8. The 8.8 will save you a g spot building it, heck just buying a core can save you 5 bills. Why? they are a dime a dozen and everyone has snatched up the desirable d44s. even these are going require new mounting brackets, new drive shaft and other details. and possible new inner axles to get your mounting pattern. Now if that YJ is going be a dedicated trail or rock rig, then the down time building it is not an issue and throwing money at it just to make it compatible will be a already thought out issue.
            Wanna make a few bucks, grab that d60, put it on EBAY, some idiot will pay you twice what you paid for it, guarenteed. then you have a few bucks for a swap. I have seen few swaps that did not intail putting mula out for gears, brackets and driveshaft.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replys, I'm still learning about all this stuff. I had already been leaning toward the 8.8, but staying open to other options like getting really lucky and finding a d44 that would fit. I want the most bang for the buck, but also want to do It right.

I thought all 8.8s were c clip axles. What years models should I look for an 8.8 in if I were to go that route?
              I have a Jeep

Comment

most bang for the buck will be going to a jeep wrecking yard. getting a D44 from a late model wrangler and driveshaft. And hope the gearing is the same
                after that getting one and changing the gearing of either your front axle, or the new D44.
                If you end up having to build an axle, like stated earlier a ford truck 8.8 would be next then a D44
                finding a 9 inch would be great also but they also have pumpkins that steal clearence unless you are going for a big tire.
                Right now, because of cost, most guys are going 8.8
                the D44 from a Wrangler would accept your rear brakes, no conversion cost there, you see that D44 keeps looking better all the time, plus it is a proven axle. Shoving that D60 under your Jeep is going take a few g spots to do it right, and if you do not do it correct the first time, that YJ is going be sitting around as you deal with issues of compatibility that WILL pop up.
                I bought a core d44 and sent it to a builder, he took it and made sure all issues were addressed before we plopped it in, when I do my front I will do the same, I have never had any down time becuae it was done right at the beginning. I see a lot of guys with their junk sitting in the driveway still battleing to get on trail because of issues not addressed in the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                X