Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ 7 and Texas heat!

Facts: 82 CJ 7 with 30,000 on dealer rebuilt and Mopar fuel injected 258.
    T-5 tranny and mud-terrain 33s. Bought in Jan 04 with 4,000 in Cali and brought back to Hawaii.
    Problem: Will heat up in 5- 10 minutes to 7/8 on temp gauge when doing 65+ and outside temp is 75+. Stop and go traffic, moderate wheelin, and anytime the outside temp is below 65 degrees…no problem. Not too much of a problem in HI (outside temp not too bad and you’re in traffic all the time anyway!) but now I’m in Texas!!
    Have…installed a flex fan, new water pump, and replaced the 190 degree thermostat (required for fuel injection operating temp) with a 180. Limited success.
    Only problems with Jeep are that it sometimes vents fuel back up the vent line to the canister (any ideas on that?) and I have some blow-by on the #6 cylinder.
    Texas, is heating up and it’s dangerous driving 55 on 70mph freeways!!!!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by JeepGal; 03-10-06, 04:59 PM.

What shape is the radiator? If it is at all questionable change it.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

couple of things to look at.

1 CJ's have both clockwise and counterclockwise fans, (I found out the hard way)

2 Check for vacuum leaks, intake bolts, open ports ect.

3 Is the thermostat sticking or old?

4 Have you checked your gauge agaist a new one.

5 Pull the raditor cap and look at the raditor is it clean, or do you see any calicum build up, run the engine and allow to warm up, do you see any bubbles? if so blown head gasket.

I hope this helps.
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Thanks for the info!!
        Receipts say the radiator was checked and cleaned when the engine was rebuilt and has little buildup (that I can see) in the cores. The fan is on correct, all new guages and I replaced the thermostat with a 180 so should be good. Intake bolts are tight and I can't find any vacume leaks.
        Warmed up at idle...no bubbles in the radiator fluid. When I rev up, lots of water moevment and then a topping of what looks like white detergent suds???? Huhhh?

Comment

I know they make a product that is added to the coolant that is supposed to lower the water temp some, not sure of the name or if it really works. I seen it in some of the local auto parts stores, kinda pink in color.
          :gun: My garage ain't cluttered, it's just cozy with crap.

Comment

it may be that the radiator thats in there is not big enough is it a two or three core? If it is only a two you probaly should look into buying a three or four core for it.

Comment

Hava a reilable radiator shop do a systems flus, they can then check the system out. If it is not a mecanicle failure or obstruction, I am up to it being to small of a radiator. after all that thing is 24 years old and you have only had it 2 years, you do not know what others have done to the system maintaining it.
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
              X