Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end shake/wobble

So I have developed a front end shake/wobble whenever going over 60 since putting on the MTRs. It is only on the passenger side and it is not consistent. I can speed up a little and it will go away but it always returns shortly. It also appears to be sensitive to the road quality. Worse on some than others. I also recently replaced the u-joint in the axle shaft on this side as well. Here is what I have tried so far without any luck:

1. Alignment
    2. Lowered tire air pressure
    3. Added more balancing beads to the front pass. tire
    4. Swapped rear driver tire with front pass.
    5. removed front ds
    6. checked for excess play in the hub

1,2,3 provided small improvements but did not eliminate it. 4 actually made things a bit worse but the shake still stayed at the front pass side and did not follow the tire at all. Shake is completely independent of having the front drive shaft on or off. When checking the hub I did not have the tire on but trying to move the rotor showed no signs of any play other than the rotor moving a little.

So, my limited knowledge has run out and I am not sure where to look next. Possible areas:

1. Ball joints
    2. hub - even thought it seemed fine
    3. TREs on that side - everything appears nice and tight

Another thought is my new shock towers. The pass tower is extremely close to the tub and I can here it hit the tub at low speeds. I am getting rdy to do a BL so I am not concerned about the scratches right now.

Help?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Check the track bar bolts. Have someone jiggle the wheel back and forth with your hand on the TB. Identify the loose bolt. Tighten the piss out of it.

Out of all the death wobble problems we had with Sarah's jeep, every time I "found" the problem it was the trackbar. I would tighten the axle end bolt and it would get better, then it would come back. After thinking the trackbar issue was resolved and going through most of the troubleshooting attempts you mention above, I'd recheck the trackbar and that was it. I finally ended up tightening everything way beyond the factory torque specs and have not had a problem since.

Rick
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Thanks rick, I checked the track bar for obvious movement but did not feel any (forgot to post that). I will tighten the "piss" out of it and see what happens.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

disregard this. DOH!
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
          disregard this. DOH!
          No, I can't!!!!
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Try swapping the tires front to back, I have a tire when rotated to the front I get a shake.
            my :2:
            [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Per rick's advice, I tightened the "piss" out of the trackbar bolts. Once again a minor (and I mean extremely small) improvement but it still shakes. The shake is not as bad or consistent as I can hit some speeds between 65 - 80 and its gone. I have bot gone over 85.

So its is more driveable now but this weekend I will be jacking up the front and going over it with a fine tooth comb. Please keep the suggestions coming for stuff to look for.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

get rid of the "balancing beads" and have them spun.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  get rid of the "balancing beads" and have them spun.
                  So you are impling that the beads do not work? If so, wouldn't I have shaking all over and not just at one particular corner?
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                    So you are impling that the beads do not work? If so, wouldn't I have shaking all over and not just at one particular corner?
                    i have heard more bad than good by people using the beads to balance their tires.
                    you have a set of quality tires mounted on quality wheels. you'll have no problem getting them spin ballanced with the sticker weights at your local americas tire. i have not had to re-balance my tires even one time since mounting them onto the champion beadlocks.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                      i have heard more bad than good by people using the beads to balance their tires.
                      you have a set of quality tires mounted on quality wheels. you'll have no problem getting them spin ballanced with the sticker weights at your local americas tire. i have not had to re-balance my tires even one time since mounting them onto the champion beadlocks.
                      weird, I have heard more good than bad

I will start calling around my area and see who will balance them. You can't take it for granted that anyone in Yucca will do it.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

How old is the trackbar, i.e. condition of joints?
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                          weird, I have heard more good than bad

I will start calling around my area and see who will balance them. You can't take it for granted that anyone in Yucca will do it.
                          I will balance them for you.........Stellar Performance 365-2692 ask for me. If I'm not there (I'm in and out) leave me a message and I'll call you back....B.J.

Comment

Working...
                          X