Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSC trail cage

does anyone have the PSC trail cage for a YJ? was thinking about ordering it but was wondering the difficulty of the install, how long did it take to install, how do you like it? any input would be nice.
    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

I have it in my TJ. It's a piece of cake to install but requires welding of course. I found a guy locally that has been welding gas pipes for 30 years and he did it in about 45 mins at a slow pace.

The top and doors were all off and I had folded down the windshield. I had pre-painted the lower supports but the rest I primed and painted after they were welded in. I had also ground off the paint off the parts of the stock cage where the PSC ties into.

I didn't particularly care about cleaning up the welds too much so just a few passes with the grinder was all it took to smooth the welds out a bit. If you are fussy about that, it'll take longer. The most important thing before welding (if done in the jeep) is to take your time and have some heavy duty damped welding tarp around to cover all the interior and the windshield.
    Last edited by seapahn; 02-24-06, 05:07 PM.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

seabass....do you have the full cage, or just the front half (like I do)?

Definately cover the windshield with something heavier than I did (piece of moderately thick canvas I had around). I had some spatter burn through the canvas, and into the windshield. Of course, I run 100% CO2, so I get more spatter than many people who mix in some argon....
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I have the half cage (trail cage) ... that ties into the stock cage.

I also had a mishap with the front windshield. We put a heavy piece of plywood over it and then laid a damp tarp on it ... unfortunately, I didn't realize that the rearview mirror sticks up and the entire weight of the plywood was focused on the glass, right at the base of the mirror ... that caused the glass to crack all the way across

It was one of those "oh yah duh" moments after we took off the tarp and the plywood.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

thanks for the info i am planning on putting it in this weekend. goodtimes do you have it for the tj or the yj?
          therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

i got my cag in this past weekend looks good. i have pics here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247140

Comment

Working...
            X