Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathwobble revisited

After ignoring the problem for a couple of months (I don't drive the jeep much), I am revisiting this.

All of the typical causes have been checked (alignment, tire balance, track bar, worn steering linkage &./or TRE's, loose control arms, etc). What I am looking at now, is the steering box output shaft.

At center, there is very little free side to side movement of the pitman arm (technically, angular movement of the steering box output shaft). But as soon as I come off center, to either the left or the right, there is a very noticable amount of slop....at 1/4 turn of the steering wheel, there is about .010", at 1/2 turn, there is .020", at full lock, there is right at .030". That translates to 1/10 of one degree, 1/5 of one degree, and 1/3 of a degree of angular movement, respectively. It doesn't sound like much when you read it, but it is definately noticable when you grab the pitman arm and it easily moves back and forth.

So, my question is, has anyone else seen this much slop in their (tj) steering boxes?
    Last edited by goodtimes; 02-23-06, 10:51 PM.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

I have had some movement in my steering box. I couldnt tell you the numbers though. I have not had any issues with DW. (knock on wood).
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

On old gear boxes there was a set screw to tighten up the worm gear. I don't know if the jeeps are setup that way or not. But if the gear is tight at center, tightening might make it too tight.

I looked at your pictures and it looks like you're running the rubicon wheels with 33's, or are they 35's? I have never been able to be completely rid of some vibration, even with brand new tires, but I wouldn't call it death wobble. Do you know what your castor setting is? What kind of steering damper do you run? I know there's some dual shock setups for steering damping.

Some of the old pro's here should have some more ideas.

Comment

There is no mistaking it, this problem is death wobble. A steering stabilizer will not cure death wobble, only mask the problem. (but I do have one on there....rancho I believe, stiff as hell).

To *properly* adjust the steering box, it needs to be removed from the jeep and you need a dial guage torque wrench capable of reading sub 10 in/lb readings....I don't have one, so I figured I'd ask about the slop before running out and spending even more money that I don't have.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
        X