Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Rear Locker???

I know this is a silly Noob question and I am sure I will get a little flame from this BUT im gonna ask anyway!
    A buddy of mine has a 200? TJ. He claims that it has a factory rear locker that is engaged by momentarily pulling the parking brake lever hard?? Is this a real deal or is he telling stories again??? Thanks!!
    Last edited by 59Bisquik; 02-12-06, 09:06 PM.
    Built Not Bought
    1986 B2

He is full of shit . . . again.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by 59Bisquik
      I know this is a silly Noob question and I am sure I will get a little flame from this BUT im gonna ask anyway!
      A buddy of mine has a 200? TJ. He claims that it has a factory rear locker that is engaged by momentarily pulling the parking brake lever hard?? Is this a real deal or is he telling stories again??? Thanks!!
      Pulling on the parking brake can definitely help increase the torque being sent to a rear wheel but no locker is engaged by using that age-old technique. That technique works well to help get you moving again in low traction situations for axles that are either open or equipped with a limited slip differential but it's certainly not going to turn it into a locker by any stretch of the imagination.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Hahahaha Bet him some money he does'nt and ask him to open his re-dif housing... Odds are in your favor
        Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

Lucas
          Where have you been?????
          PM me!
          Originally posted by skates04
          Hahahaha Bet him some money he does'nt and ask him to open his re-dif housing... Odds are in your favor
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

next time he tells you about his locker? look at his nose and see how it grows.
            Not In The Office Look For Me on The Trail's!
            It's a "Jeep Thing" you just wouldn't understand ....

Comment

Thanks guys! He is full of all sorts of those types of stories...I had never heard of anything like that but thought I would ask for my own curiosity!!
              Built Not Bought
              1986 B2

Comment

As Jerry said, if you engage the parking brake on ANY rear-wheel drive vehicle with open diffs, it'll often create the illusion of having a locker. The added restriction to turning the wheel that has lost traction due to the parking brake will transfer some of the torque to the wheel with traction.
                Last edited by seapahn; 02-18-06, 03:44 AM.
                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                X