Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped windshield hinge bolts

So i bought some mirror movers, thinkin I'd be cool this summer with the doors off, even got me a set of ratchets for those odd little star bolts jeep seems to love. Then I stripped them out because they havn't been taken out in a good 14 years, and they were in there a little tighter than I expected. Now I have a set of x-tractors that drill a hole into the middle of the bolt, then uses a reverse thread bit to pull the thing out, but im not sure it would work on steel..... any other sugestions before I make this little inconvinience a big headache?

Those screws are a major PITA

I wouldn't mess with extractors - just drill the bastards out

The goal is to drill just to the point where the head is cut off the bolt. Start with a pilot drill, around 1/8". Drill down about 3/8". Then drill 1/4" and progressively larger, suddenly the head will come off. Then use a punch to knock the bolt through. If your drills are not sharp save yourself some grief and buy some new ones.

Buy some nice shiny stainless screws and you're good to go.

BTW the nuts are not captive, so if you were able to loosen them they would just spin. Then you would cut your hand to pieces trying to get a wrench behind the dash only to find the nuts are covered in dried gorilla snot.

You will thank me later
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Yeah, two of them stripped, the other two spun.... figured I stripped the threads out on those ones, do you know if I can get replacements at lowes or another hardware store?.... maybe something with a phillips head

Comment

Originally posted by killwhytey07
        Yeah, two of them stripped, the other two spun.... figured I stripped the threads out on those ones, do you know if I can get replacements at lowes or another hardware store?.... maybe something with a phillips head
        I find ACE has a good hardware selection, rather expensive but local.

I used socket flat head screws in stainless, 5/16 I think. For the nuts I used plain steel: 'cos stainless on stainless tends to gall and can sieze.

Comment

I suspect that the threads on the two screws that are spinning are OK. The nuts are not captive so you need to get a wrench back up in there. Then you will find all kinds of sealant on the threads - just drill them out

Comment

Those things are extremly tight. I busted a cheap star tool trying to install my KC windshield light mounts.
            I went to Sears and bought one of their star tools, and the quality was evident from the start.

The bolts also have anti something on them to keep them from backing out. Applying some heat to them lightly might help also.

Navy-Jeepster
            Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
            Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

I'm starting to get a grasp on the stiuation here....couple more questions though, are there any threads in the actual body of my duke, or is it just four snot covered nuts?.... also if I were to drill them out am I going to need to remove my dash to install new ones?.... I'm almost considering welding the mirror movers straight to the windshield hinge and not even messing with bolts, but then again when it warms up I'm stripping my interior to rhino line it, so I could just do it then..... what do you guys think?

Comment

Did I mention - DRILL THE BASTARDS OUT

:gun:

You will need to get NEW nuts onto the back of your NEW bolts. You can do this by easing the dash forward a little and cutting your hands to pieces.

Comment

So basicly I think I'm going to go ahead and drill the bastards out. Thanks for you help

Comment

So basicly I think I'm going to go ahead and drill the bastards out. Thanks for you help
                    So....what happened??!?

Comment

Yea! Did you get this done? Bored minds want to know...
                      Erik

I fix things.

Comment

naw havn't gotten that far yet, im waiting for it to warm up, that way i can rhino line the interior and deal with the screws all at the same time ill keep ya posted though!

Comment

naw havn't gotten that far yet, im waiting for it to warm up, that way i can rhino line the interior and deal with the screws all at the same time ill keep ya posted though!
                          booo, whata' wuss

Comment

Aww come on now, Im not lucky enough to have a garage and Ohio isn't the warmest place in the world, you know highs of 20 degrees..... I'll get em done, I have a feeling I want em more than you!

Comment

well, i haven't had to much problems with extractors, i would always go that route first and then if it doesn't work, go bigger and if it still don't work drill um out, but if you got um, use um, that is unless you trust yourself to drill um out just fine first go around. the only time i have issues with extractors is when in tight spaces, then you gotta pull out your 90 degree drill and so forth.

ah, don't let um bully ya! hehe, we're all guilty of 'waiting' sometimes. unless ofcourse you have a whole shop at your disposal. ah, that's the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X