Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re:coil conversion??

Has any one done a leaf to coil conversion on a yj yet? If so how much of a som b!*@h was it???
    The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Not worth it - which is why hardly anyone offers the kit anymore. Was the "bling trend of the week" almost ten years ago - right after the "articulation ramp bling trend"
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

thanks for the info, its kinda what i was thinking.A customer of mine wants to do it, (wife will not ride in jeep) thinks the ride will be better. Its a 92 yj 6in lift on 33's

Comment

Why would anyone install a 6 inch lift for 33's?????

No wonder it rides like crap, my guess is that the springs are stiff as hell (unless they popped for something custom, like Alcans or Nationas)
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY

Comment

"not worth it" im not sure thats a fair statement, i would think it would depend on the situation. i could be bias, i have converted the front only on my JY to coil over and for my situation it has done exaclty what i wanted it too do, but i had a reason for it, i did not do it for flex or ride quality, i belived then and now that there is nothing wrong with a leaf spring and for this reason i have retained them in the rear. the plain truth of the matter is i was sick too death of smackin the front spring hanger and bending the front leafs. i thought long and hard about spring reversal kits and so forth and at the end of the day it was easyer and in my case cheaper to go coil over. i did not buy a kit, i built my own and if i could figure out how to get a picture in here i would. if your interested send my a e mail and ill send some pics, anyway, i think it comes down too the reason for doing the conversion and is it valid
          87 YJ, D35, Warn full float, Detriot, OME rear, custom rear helper springs, Rancho, SYE, D30, Custom coilover front, ARB, Warn axles and hub lock outs, 4.0 leter Cherokee engine, S/S TSL bead locks, OB air, etc etc

Comment

Ahh - but he asked about a "laef to coil conversion" - not a coilover conversion - completly different animals...........
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

call me stupid, but what is the difference between a leaf to coil conversion and a coilover conversion? arent these two terms for the same thing? Oh yeah why 6 inches of lift for 33's
              I have a Jeep

Comment

ok ill conseed that one
                87 YJ, D35, Warn full float, Detriot, OME rear, custom rear helper springs, Rancho, SYE, D30, Custom coilover front, ARB, Warn axles and hub lock outs, 4.0 leter Cherokee engine, S/S TSL bead locks, OB air, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboysfc
                  call me stupid, but what is the difference between a leaf to coil conversion and a coilover conversion? arent these two terms for the same thing?
                  The diff is slight.

Coilover is short for coil over shock, meaning the shock is mounted inside the spring. The next progression is the strut where the coilover can be removed as an assembly.

On a coil conversion the coil spring and shock are mounted in separate locations.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Well in this guys case, its all about looks, its a beach car that will never see a dirt trail,rock,tree stump, mud pit, of any kind in its life time. The jeep just got all new carpet, padding, it gets washed every weekend and lives in the garage! It has 33 x 12.50 15 MTR's with a rancho lift (this was not my doing!) How does it go.... a man and his money is easly parted???? I did think of the coil over in front and softer spings in the back but... WHY seemed to come up a lot. Thanks again for all the input

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                      The diff is slight.

Coilover is short for coil over shock, meaning the shock is mounted inside the spring. The next progression is the strut where the coilover can be removed as an assembly.

On a coil conversion the coil spring and shock are mounted in separate locations.

OH, that is good info, I wont be a goof next time.
                      I have a Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan
                        How does it go.... a man and his money is easly parted????
                        The new Fabtech coil conversion is not cheap, looks good and would probably work pretty good, just an idea....
                        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

A simple conversion is to sell the YJ and get a TJ That should also fix the "headlight design flaw" that's an inherent feature of the YJ
                          03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                          "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I always thought round lights on a jeep should be on a liberty.... but i guess ulglyness can be passed on........ lol

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
                              "headlight design flaw" that's an inherent feature of the YJ
                              All this time and I've been driving a "flawed" jeep, I never knew....I don't know how I was ever able to drive it in the rocks.....
                              Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
                              X