• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of the Rubicon??

is it worth getting?
    XM satellite radio, "killing AM and FM one sub at a time"

First...WELCOME TO MJR!!!

Glad you found us...Where are you from?

And about that Rubicon, it all depends on what you want to do with it, and how much money and time you want to put into it.

Are you considering buying one, and if so, is it your first Jeep?

Tell us a little bit more about what your intent is with it. Is it going to be a daily driver/weekend offroader (which mine is) or something more then that...(or less)?

The Rubicon is a very capable vehicle...right out of the box, and into the rocks...ask Seapahn and Goodtimes, who brought there stock Rubicons on the Rubicon Trail with us in July (IM SO READY TO DO IT AGAIN) Ive got an 02TJ, with a few mods, no lockers, and mine performed admirably as well. but, as I was telling a few of the guys here, The Rubicon Trail will probably be as extreme as I ever get with my Jeep.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

welcome to the forum answer some of jeepgal's questions, and we will better answer yours...
      in my opinion, the rubicon is a great vehicle if you have the money to plop down on one. you can build an equally capable rig with way less money if you start with an older tj, but then you have an older tj...
      it really depends what your intentions are with the jeep.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm from Santa Clarita (SOCAL) and I had an XJ, but I'm jeepless rightnow so please don't hate me. I want to get a Wrangler of some type when funds permit.

Comment

I'd build up an non-rubicon TJ, but thats just me. BUT when you start doing that you'll lose parts of the factory warranty . . . depending on what you modify.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I went off roading with a Hummer group my friend started and we had a Rubi come with us and it totally spanked the Hummers in the really tough stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CAXMER
              I went off roading with a Hummer group my friend started and we had a Rubi come with us and it totally spanked the Hummers in the really tough stuff.

Dont let GM fool you. Hummers are no more then a re-bodied Suburban. Hummers are not even on the same planet as Rubicons . . . I mean, its a JEEP!!!! We had 2 stock Rubicons make it through the Rubicon Trail with minimal problems, if any. A stock Rubicon is an extremely capable rig, dont let what I said before change your mind. A Rubicon is a great base to build upon.
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by CAXMER
                I'm from Santa Clarita (SOCAL) and I had an XJ, but I'm jeepless rightnow so please don't hate me. I want to get a Wrangler of some type when funds permit.
                I converted from XJ's to TJ's Good luck with your choice, we dont hate you
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

IMO--if you are looking for a dual purpose vehicle, don't want to (or can't) build a jeep to your liking, the rubicon is a great rig.

I live in a apartment, and am very limited on what kind of work I can do to vehicles, and I needed a rig that I could drive on a daily basis. The rubicon fits those needs very well.

If I had a garage, and a few grand of disposable cash, a reliable daily driver (one that got more than 8 mpg that is....) I would not have bought a rubicon, I would have bought a older jeep and did what I wanted to with it.

Buying a rubicon makes it very easy to get alot of cool things because you are financing all of them, instead of buying a jeep, then immediatly throwing 4 or 5 grand at it. You get nice small monthly payments, and can have all the "toys" from day #1, without all the hassle.

BUT, if you are going to spend the extra $$$ to get the rubicon package, make sure you need it. The rubicon is a great out of the box rock crawler. It is not, on the other hand, a great out of the box mud bogger....or dune buggy, etc.
                  olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Chris, that Hummer comment is so untrue. The Hummer H2 is nothing but a rebodied Suburban. The Hummer itself is still true to the AM General design. 16 inches of clearance under the lowest point, drop box axles, etc......

The Hummer is still not a Jeep, wait who designed them, oh yeah, AM General, who, if I'm not mistaken, was a subsidiary of AMC, get the point? I would like to have one, they go everywhere, well almost, not down some of the narrower Jeep trails.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                      Chris, that Hummer comment is so untrue. The Hummer H2 is nothing but a rebodied Suburban. The Hummer itself is still true to the AM General design. 16 inches of clearance under the lowest point, drop box axles, etc......

The Hummer is still not a Jeep, wait who designed them, oh yeah, AM General, who, if I'm not mistaken, was a subsidiary of AMC, get the point? I would like to have one, they go everywhere, well almost, not down some of the narrower Jeep trails.

Erik
                      i'm pretty sure that he was referring to the H2 design... the older "hummer" design is a pretty bad ass vehicle, except for its size.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I lovethe Rubicon, but I have 3 other passengers to carry and some gear so that coan make it really tight.
                        The Hummer H2 is very capable, but it isen't the most efficent vehicle in the world. The H1's spend alot of time in the shop giving new meaning to thr term off roading so not that any vehicle is perfect, but I really like the Rubicom alot, problem is that I won't be in a position to buy a 4X4 for along time. I miss my XJ but it was suffering from old age.
                        I like the Wrangler for the lower cost and what it can do as an offroad machine. XJ's aren't the best for rockcrawling due to the unibody construction.
                        The in line 6 is a friggen bulit peoof engine and I pray to God that DC will keep this engine for a while longer.

Comment

Caxmer, don't write off XJs. Unibody or not, they are true Jeeps; ugly in design, but offroad worthy.

Here is my buddies site, MadRedJeep, go take a look at his pics. He is currently running the Briarwood (green with wood). He rolled the red XJ. Take a good look at the pic on the home page. He crawled right up that rock, OH, and he runs an automatic.

Take your time choosing. If you want to wait until you have the cash/credit, and you want something bigger to hold your passengers, go look at this site AEV Conversions. They make some cool Jeeps, and they retain the DC warranty.

Erik

Comment

I think for what you get out of the box, the Rubi is an excellent way to go. If your seriously looking for one, go to www.jeepwarehouse.com

They have really good prices on Rubis & a bunch of people on JU have ordered & received theirs from that guy. He deals directly with DC & gets really good prices.

For me...I talked to AEV a bit on Friday evening! The process has begun to get a TJ again! as well as move to AZ!

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy
                              .... as well as move to AZ!
                              Yea! We need more people down here! I have had to resort to getting people off of Pirate to go 'wheeling with me!

What part of AZ are you looking at?
                              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                              X