Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in the mud

This weekend I was out wheeling in the mud lots of mud. Lots of fun untill my electric fuel pump took a :poop: on me while I was up to the bumpers in mud. Any advice out there for an electric fuel pump on a 258 with carter bbd? the one I had only lasted a few months.
    I have a Jeep

Originally posted by dannyboysfc
    This weekend I was out wheeling in the mud lots of mud. Lots of fun untill my electric fuel pump took a :poop: on me while I was up to the bumpers in mud. Any advice out there for an electric fuel pump on a 258 with carter bbd? the one I had only lasted a few months.
    When you replaced the fuel pump last time, did you also replace the fuel pump relay? Assuming you have one..... Also the fuel fiter, don't know if that's packaged with the fuel pump. They should all be replaced when the pump goes bad. The voltage spikes when the pump goes out, which causes the relay to fail right then or shortly after. And if the filter should be replaced cause it might have caused the pump to go bad.
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Thanks for the info. This electric fuel pump replaced the mechanical one, so it was all new wireing and installation. It actually has gone out several times but would start back up within 10 minutes every time, untill this time, its completely dead. I will be putting an inline filter before the pump, and relocating the pump to the rear of the vehicle where I should have put it last time. I would really like to get some advice as far as what is a good pump to go with.
      I have a Jeep

Comment

I've never seen anything wrong with a High Quality High Performance mechanical fuel pump(Nascar Style). What you may want to consider is a good mechanical pump with a good electric backup pump mounted at the rear as close to the tank as possible, make sure all lines are clean, rubber good and new filter.........BJ

Comment

My rebuilt engine didn't have the little thingy on the cam that moves the lever on the mechanical fuel pump, so It was ethier remove the newly installed engine to return, replace the cam, or go with an electric fuel pump. I am now wondering how the fuel pump eccentric is attatched to the cam, could I just put one on there without too much trouble?
          I have a Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboysfc
            My rebuilt engine didn't have the little thingy on the cam that moves the lever on the mechanical fuel pump, so It was ethier remove the newly installed engine to return, replace the cam, or go with an electric fuel pump. I am now wondering how the fuel pump eccentric is attatched to the cam, could I just put one on there without too much trouble?
            Can't remember if the fuel pump eccentric is part of the cam or is a bolt on....Talk to the local Jeep dealer Parts manager, he should be able to look it up for you (I think its part of the cam).....Let us know......BJ

Comment

Holly makes a nice aftermarket one with a regulator, its gfairly cheap also.

Comment

Well I replaced the fuel pump, Carter electric 5-7 psi no need for a regulator. It also turns out that while wheeling I got some water in the fuel tank, which in turn got to the carb. I dropped the fuel tank(much easier than I thought) the sending unit rubber seal was destroyed on one side. I cleaned the tank and replaced this seal. Also the evap canister was completely full of mud and water, it got submerged, the filter on the bottom fell off. I took apart the carter bbd and cleaned out the water and grime. I need a new evap canister, for now I just plugged all the lines. While underneath I also found that the manifold heater is missing a bolt, could this make it run like crap? cause it still runs like crap. I need to seriously water/mud proof the Jeep.
                I have a Jeep

Comment

:hijack:
                  That is one Cute kid you got there dannyboysfc, but now my wife is going to make me change my Avatar
                  [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                  In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

The carter fuel pump is a great unit, should last darn near forever if it is getting clean fuel. A filter before the pump is a good idea. If it is still running bad you may want to try replacing the cap and rotor, they are pretty low on the side of the engine.
                    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
                    X