Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• postal jeep and cj jeep interchangability

I was looking at a couple of jeeps, and one is a normal cj jeep and I found this postal jeep for 200$. Can I have a right hand drive NORMAL CJ jeep? Could I put a normal jeep tub on the right hand drive postal jeep? I would assume I would have to cut a hole in the firewall for the steering, and I would have to make the dash Flat, and then put my own guages in. Can anyone spread any light on the possibilities of this swap and whats involved that I may be missing. Im sure there are alot of things im missing. Would all the aftermarket lift kits still work on a postal jeep frame and suspension?

One last thing, its a 4x 2, im not so worried about the rock crawling part of things, so being that im not looking to go to the rubicon, what do you think about the postal jeep being a 4x2.....if later i wanted 4x4 could I do it? Thanks guys, these might be tough questions, hopefully someone could spread some light for me, I appreciate it.

Clint

If you want a CJ, get a CJ. Trying to convert that DJ into a CJ is going to be very expensive.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I think I would be willingto settle for the DJ.....Are all the suspension lifts the same (assuming steering arm would be hardest to get) for that year, which is 1975 in this case. If not, is there an aftermarket company that sells lift kits for DJ jeeps? Thanks guys

A little background, I have built about 20 street/strip cars,mainly old Mopars,but 4x4 is a way different world, and im looking to drop the "race around" cars and get into Jeeps....

Comment

How about the CJ axles under the DJ frame and body?

As I recall the DJ is spring over in the back and spring under in the front. Back shackles are different too.
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Imho

H meaning humble...

Just get a CJ... you'll have issues with the brake cylinder, the steering, parts availability... etc... The 74 CJ I have is bad enough trying to find parts for... and it's not really considered "specialty" stuff. You'll undoubtably want to go with a wider axle eventually (like I am now), and fiddling around with the steering on the axle trying to swap it over to right hand drive... ugh... I dont even want to imagine it.

I assume you're a savvy mechanic, but like me, it sounds like you'll do more cyber wheeling than actual trail-time.

Just my :2:

::Edit:: Notice also though, that it's all of us "hi-desert" people chiming in. Parts are either internet or hours of drive time for us.
          Last edited by USMC 0369; 12-21-05, 01:34 PM.
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

You are correct, trail time would be limited, im a full time single father as well for the past 1.5 years....some back roads or back property of friends places would be about it. I would never trailer a jeep to a major trail ride, not interested in breaking stuff constantly....

I see where you guys are going with this. I have always had a thing for being different with the cars I have built and liked and tried new things with...or when someone says...ITS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT for little gains....lol...I always tend to do it.

Im thinking on this DJ thing, I was considering chopping the top off and going for a spring to fall jeep only. Unless I wanted to drive in the rain..lol. That was the idea from the start cause im not interested in the postal top, I would rather convert/chop and put a bikini top on it and go...wether it was a custom top or not. Im really fasinated with RHD cars. One day I will buy my Australian charger,have it shipped,till then, a RHD vehicle would be fun.

If anyone else has a thought, let me know...

Comment

For $200? Go for it. Not like you're looking to take it to Moab or the Rubicon. I think it'd be a cool thing to own, especially with the right hand drive. Bet your kid(s) will get a kick out of it, too.
              Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Working...
              X