Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still searching for answers - lifting '03 sahara

Thanks for all the feedback - (see 11Dec thread: 'Need lift advice for 03 sahara'); this newborn’s eyesight is still very fuzzy but starting to make out some detail in the world of Jeep lifting…

I would like to be able to disconnect & need to know if you think I’ll have rub problems with the following proposed set-up: 2.5” susp lift, 1” BL (is a MML recommended?),
    32” or 33”x10.50 tires on the stock 15x8’s (what’s BS on these, 5”?). Would new rims be a must - OR - maybe wheel spacing would be a good thing to do (or would that be unsafe for aggressive off-roading?)?? Maybe I could go to 11.50 or 12.50 with spacers…

I don’t want to lift too high to have to worry about driveline angles. Not ready to invest in re-gearing & don’t want to give up a bunch of HP so can’t go too big on tires (maybe 33’s are a stretch here – whatdya think…)

I just am concerned that 3”lift with 33’s without other mods would put me at risk in different ways. Any thoughts?

When would I need a tranny cooler for my a/t? How much does parts/install typically run on that?

What’s the purpose of a slip yoke eliminator and is it even necessary at above proposal? What’s this cost run?

All the advice so far is greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to figure it all out & get going – but must turn more stones…
    '03 TJ Sahara, A/T
    D44 rear @ 3.73
    2.5" OME HD springs/shocks
    fr. adj t-bar
    1.25" wheel spacers
    1" BL/MML
    Quick disco's

I would like to be able to disconnect & need to know if you think I’ll have rub problems with the following proposed set-up: 2.5” susp lift, 1” BL (is a MML recommended?),
    32” or 33”x10.50 tires on the stock 15x8’s (what’s BS on these, 5”?). Would new rims be a must - OR - maybe wheel spacing would be a good thing to do (or would that be unsafe for aggressive off-roading?)?? Maybe I could go to 11.50 or 12.50 with spacers…
    JeepGal has the same setup you are talking about, and she still have the stock rear driveshaft. A MML is never a bad thing, especially with a BL.

Buy new wheels. Spacers are a band-aid and you will eventually spend the money twice. Buy 15x8 wheels w/ 3.75 or 4 inch back spacing. Get some 33x12.5 tires

I don’t want to lift too high to have to worry about driveline angles. Not ready to invest in re-gearing & don’t want to give up a bunch of HP so can’t go too big on tires (maybe 33’s are a stretch here – whatdya think…)
    33's will be tolerable. Re-gearing would be prefered, but it can wait. The auto trans will help you out offroad, and the gearing wont seem so bad. On road, in the hills, you'll probably use the overdrive alot less.

I just am concerned that 3”lift with 33’s without other mods would put me at risk in different ways. Any thoughts?
    What different risks?

When would I need a tranny cooler for my a/t? How much does parts/install typically run on that?
    The tranny already run the fluid through the radiator, but a seperate cooler isnt a bad idea. check out www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com to see what they offer. Install is pretty simple.

What’s the purpose of a slip yoke eliminator and is it even necessary at above proposal? What’s this cost run?
    The purpose of the SYE is to eliminate the slip yoke, duh. The slip yoke is the doohicky that slides in and out of the t-case when the suspension cycles. The SYE makes the rear output a fixed yoke and puts the "slip" in the driveshaft. Now instead of having 1 u-joint at the t-case, you will have 2, the 2 u-joints (called a double Cardan) allows for more driveshaft angle. It wouldnt hurt to get one now, there is no telling if you'll have vibes or not. It seems like a hit and miss. 2 people can have the same set up, one will get vibes, one wont. The only down fall to doing it now, is you'll have to lengthen the driveshaft when you lift more. Cost is anywhere from $3-500

All the advice so far is greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to figure it all out & get going – but must turn more stones…
    just dont throw stones
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
    X