Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ driveshaft popped out=$$$$?

I need some advice on this. I have a 98' XJ Sport 117,000 miles, today I floored it to switch lanes and there was this loud clunk underneath. The driveshaft had popped out of the rear diff. and is leaking fluid now. It was not totally disconnected but popped out. Now it grinds going into Park, won't move in Drive. When it was towed up on the flat bed the rear wheels barely turned. Am I right to say that the driveshaft always turns when the wheels turn not just when power is sent to them? Can someone give me some sort of idea how much this will cost so I don't get ripped off at the shop?! Please,

Thanks alot,
    Doug
    98' XJ Sport, K&N filter, 174,xxx miles

that doesnt sound good, but without seeing it anything i say would be a guess.
    what do you mean "popped out" of the rear diff?
    any pictures?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I understand, well it is not completely disconnected from the rear diff, but is now on a angle, meaning it does not go straight into rear diff.. So I am hoping it does not cost too much. I do not have a pics. What kind of prices would I be looking at for a new rear end if need be, don't know if its all beat to crap inside.
      Last edited by freshduckie; 12-08-05, 05:49 AM.

Comment

The shop says 840 bucks for pinon gear, bearings, carrier, and yoke and labor,

Could I just get a used rear end cheaper and be able to do it myself?

Doug

Comment

That price does not sound unreasonable but does not sound like a super deal either. Assuming your XJ has a Dana 35 in the rear you should be able to find a complete used rearend for cheaper than that. Swaping a rear end is not hard to do but if you have never done one I would find a buddy who has to help.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Rearend Blues

Junkyard parts may be cheaper now, but who knows what your gonna get. Bite the bullet and do it right the first time and KNOW what your getting.

Comment

Working...
            X