Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found old Rubicon trail damage ... could've been UGLY

I was doing some fixing upping on the jeep trying to get it ready for the winter ... as part of this, I decided to pull my rear passenger flare and the plastic shield in the fender well to prime and paint some old dents that had been starting to rust ...

Well ... my rear quarter took some slight beating waaaaay back at the Rubicon about 3 years ago ... I didn't think much of it since the lip of the sheet metal behind the flare was slightly bent and the quarter panel had a slight curve to it ... no big deal.

... or so I thought!!!!

Pull the plastic cover off and there is some sort of emission dealie with hoses from the gas tank and a canister looking thing back there. Well, looks like that thing and the bracket it was sitting on had taken a beating and were all bent up. Thankfully, no fuel lines were damaged. This could have been ugly because this thing sits right on top of the exhaust. I don't know if any fuel actually flows there or if it's just there for fumes or what ... but I sure as hell am going to be a LOT more careful with that area now. I might fab up some sort of skid under it too.

From what I understand, this emission dealie in the rear passenger quarter panel is an 03 and later TJ thing.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Sounds like your charcoal canister. Generally no liquid fuel flows through there...only vapor. All of the liquid fuel lines *should* be on the opposite side of the vehicle.....away from the exhaust. They are routed that way on purpose.....if you develope a leak in the fuel system, it won't drip onto the hot exhaust.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

That's good to hear. But I'm still glad the canister was intact. Any other problems don't make me nervous that much (except maybe brakes) ... but when it comes to liquid fuel and vapors, I tend to get a bit nervous
      03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
      X