Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Welders for beginner

I have one of those "Premier Arc Welders " under the hood of my CJ. I'm trying to learn welding again, well I took a welding class back in high school, that was many years ago. I understand the basic's but my welds seem to break over a period of time. I thought maybe I'm using the wrong welding rod. Anyone else use these type of welder's for their rigs ? And what rod should I use ?
    thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 11-11-05, 07:50 PM.

Let me add some more info. I'm using a 6013 welding rod to repair a crack in my frame. Should this rod work ? I was told it would do it all since it's an all purpose rod ???
    thanks,
    Dave

Comment

no offence.... sell it and get a ready welder. www.readywelder.com
      Or you can use it to power your new ready welder
      Last edited by NAILER341; 11-11-05, 10:29 PM.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Ok that looks cool. I see it mig welds. I have no experience in mig welding. I have heard that it better then arc. So what's the difference besides the arc n mig ?
        Sorry but I really have no clue,
        thanks 4 the feedback,
        Dave

Comment

any monkey can run a mig gun, even me. those ready welders are GREAT! i have one, and love it. with 2 batteries [or 24 volts] you can weld about 1/4" steel. with 3 batteries, can do up to 3/8 steel, and it will penetrate.

i believe you can run it straight off of your premier welder rather than using multiple batteries. the voltage can be adjusted with the hand throttle and premier. i used a mobi arc for a short time and HATED it. those damn things are jeep time bombs. i hear the premier is better, and might be worth a try.

if you are interested in ready welder... let me know. i can sometimes get some fair prices on them. i am not saying how great they are just to sell you one.. i'm saying it because i believe it to be true.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Aren't you supposed to run reverse polarity on the PPW if you're welding to your own rig?

Now if these are cracks are you making sure to drill out the end of the crack to stop it from still spreading once it's welded?

When you say your welds break what do you mean? they're not penetrating? Are you cleaning the surface before you weld?
            I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

I don't know anything about reverse polarity. All I know is my welds are breaking free. I guess it's really not sticken the the metal very well.
              Dave

Comment

RTFM. I'm pretty damned sure there was something in there about welding to your own rig.

Comment

RTFM. I'm pretty damned sure there was something in there about welding to your own rig.

Comment

There is - negative ground to frame when welding to your own rig.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I am an LA certified structural steel welder in all positions with stick electrodes. It is becoming a lost art. (unless you like to work in the oilfields) or have years to perfect your tecnique, I carry a ready weldor thanks to ERIK( I run gas shielded ArCo2 thanks to those outback air tank holders,perfect fit). I could run an excellent bead with the stick but to the uninitiated it is a lesson in futility. Spend the dough, get a ready weldor and another battery and dont look back.Like using a squirt gun, 1/2 hour of practice in your garage and you can do competant repairs. After rolling my jeep up on Moab Rim,and rolling all the upper control arm joints in the proccess, I was able to get the jeep back down from the top of the mountain. It still was a long nite but another day in moab waiting for shocks,glass and a radiator, we were on our way to Massachessetts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper
                        Let me add some more info. I'm using a 6013 welding rod to repair a crack in my frame. Should this rod work ? I was told it would do it all since it's an all purpose rod ???
                        thanks,
                        Dave
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"]I am no expert and only welded for three years, but IMOHO it sounds as if your welds aren't getting hot enough to 'penetrate' your frame (which is pretty thick steel). The only way to positively tell would be for you to post a [close up] photo of your welds. Are you cleaning the area with a wire brush or sandpaper prior to making your weld? Also, what do your welds look like? A bead running on top of the crack? Or are they slightly recessed into the frame?

~Dan[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X