Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on AC systems

It is that time of year again.......SUMMER!!! And, as I peruse the threads here on MJR, I find several of my fellow Jeepers having AC troubles and questions, so I decided to post this thread as kind of a reminder and informer of the dangers and cautions one should take in working in AC systems.

1) AC work should not be done unless you have a proper recovery system for your refirgerant, be it R12 or R134a. It is very much illegal to vent any type of refrigerant into the atmosphere and if caught, you will be fined heavily.

2) R134a operates at much higher pressures than R12 b/c it is more dense than R12. When converting to R134a, you need only use approximately 80% of your old R12 capacity for R134s (example 2# R12 system - Use 1.6# R134a when recharging)

3) All those DIY kits the auto-parts stores and Wal-Mart sell are not exactly the best route to go by, even if you know what you are doing. Use the proper equipment when servicing AC systems.

4) Remember, on most vehicles with AC systems, if you have problems keeping the engine running cool, your AC will not work properly. Make sure your cooling system is up to par before trying to find a problem with your AC system. 9.9 out of 10 of the AC system problems I have encountered since June of this year have mainly been due to clogged/blocked condenser/radiator fins and other cooling system problems. Blow all the crap outta the radiator and condenser at least once a month, depending on your driving conditions.

5) To make your AC perform its best, use the recirculate, or MAX AC mode, as this mode allows the system to filter out the moisture in the incoming air best. Fresh Air, or NORM AC, pulls outside air through the evaporator via means of ducting on some vehicles as well as through the condenser. It will not be as cool and your system will work twice as hard cooling it down than in RECIRC mode.

6) Check your belts for good condition and proper tension. Too tight wears out the compressor/clutch bearings faster and too loose causes compressor clutch slippage leading eventually to clutch/compressor failure.

7) If you are at all unsure of what you are doing concerning AC systems, DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!!! People like myself are school-trained and most are ASE-certified in troubleshooting, inspecting, maintaining, and repairing AC systems. Thinking first before starting a job will save you both time and money in the long run.

This is not meant to demean or degrade anyone here. This thread is for your information only. If you choose to work on your own AC system, do it carefully and correctly, as these systems are closed systems and any excessive contamination will damage them internally as well as externally.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me either through posts, PM, or email.

Have a safe and COOL summer and HAPPY JEEPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    88 Cherokee Chief--My FIRST one!!!

87 Cherokee Laredo--My FAST one!!!

thats some nice info . . . thanks
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
    X