Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad hubs

I have a 98 TJ Wrangler, and I guess big o said my jeep is not able to be aligned due to bad hubs. What is my best choice from here? He said around 800 bucks for item and installation, but I think that's kinda way to much. Can anyone assist me on this please?

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

Hubs are about $150 each from Napa. The hardest thing about replacing them is getting the axle nut off, easy to do with air tools or a lot of brute force and a breaker bar.

Simple break down:

1. Remove tire
    2. Remove brake caliper
    3. Remove brake rotor
    4. Remove Axle nut
    5. Remove 3 bolts on back of hub
    6. Remove hub
    7. reverse for install
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

dd

i dont get how a hub can affect your jeep being aligned. can you explain it to me?

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

Comment

I'm not so sure, either. If the hub is warped, that would be a different problem, and then they would be telling you about that instead of alignment issues. Bearings, etc are all replaceable.

I'd get a second opinion from another place.

Comment

Originally posted by JpPassenger
          I'm not so sure, either. If the hub is warped, that would be a different problem, and then they would be telling you about that instead of alignment issues. Bearings, etc are all replaceable.

I'd get a second opinion from another place.
          Unit bearings are not serviceable. They can give you too much caster (if worn out) and cause the tires to wear on the inner edge. Ball joints can do the same. Get a second opinion if you dont like it. For $800 you could do the warn hub kit.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Ahh, I've not been into my Jeeps hubs yet, so I assumed that they were like most other rigs.

When I think of rebuilind the hubs, I think of repacking the bearings, maybe banging out the races and replacing the whole smear.

My apologies. The Warn kit sounds enticing.
            Last edited by JpPassenger; 10-05-05, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              Unit bearings are not serviceable. They can give you too much caster (if worn out) and cause the tires to wear on the inner edge. Ball joints can do the same. Get a second opinion if you dont like it. For $800 you could do the warn hub kit.

It's spelled "camber"
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Ahh, I've not been into my Jeeps hubs yet, so I assumed that they were like most other rigs.

When I think of rebuilind the hubs, I think of repacking the bearings, maybe banging out the races and replacing the whole smear.

My apologies. The Warn kit sounds enticing.
                They are just like other rigs....everybody is using unit-bearing hubs now. They cut down on manufacturing cost (due to decreased assembly time) and lower parasitic loss in the drivetrain, leading to better fuel economy. Too bad they wear out quickly and replacement parts are expensive.

KG6OWO

Comment

Caster is the angle the knuckle is rotated fore and aft, right (ie, very similar to rotating the axle housing to change pinon angle?)

And camber is the angle the the knuckles are tilted in and out from the vehicles centerline?

Been out of the shop for a very long time... I wasn't aware of the unit assemblies inside the hubs. That certainly would make alignment impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                    It's spelled "camber"
                    Thanks I'll watch for one of your slip ups.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Caster is the angle the knuckle is rotated fore and aft, right (ie, very similar to rotating the axle housing to change pinon angle?)

And camber is the angle the the knuckles are tilted in and out from the vehicles centerline?

Been out of the shop for a very long time... I wasn't aware of the unit assemblies inside the hubs. That certainly would make alignment impossible.
                      Correct. It doesnt make alignment impossible, but it doesnt help when stuff is worn out.
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                        Thanks I'll watch for one of your slip ups.
                        You probably won't have to watch for long...:log:

KG6OWO

Comment

Do you jump it like what's in your Avatar?

If so.......

Comment

Heh!

There's a video I saw (perhaps here, or on the jeep+willys usenet group) of a guy jumping his new Rubicon some 20 feet. Playing it slow, you can see his prime driver's ed 10 & 2 hand position in midair, and how he gets tossed on the landing.

He was complaining about how the jump bent both D44 housings.

Originally posted by Joe Dillard
                            Do you jump it like what's in your Avatar?

If so.......

Comment

Working...
                            X