Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic info on Cheorkees

Hi,

I want to buy a Cheorkee by this Nov., I have a 01' Trans Am ws6 that I drive now and is horrible in the winter. And since Cheorkees rock I wanted to get one, but wanted to spend only a few grand. My question is what years are best to go with in your experience, what should I keep a eye out for? Does high mileage really matter too much when it comes to these things, I mean they built them so many years I think most of the bugs are out.

Anyhow help a rookie trying to get into the Jeep circle

Doug

Thanks
    98' XJ Sport, K&N filter, 174,xxx miles

Whatever you do Dont buy a XJ with the 2.8 GM V6!!!! The 2.5 AMC I4 made more horsepower then the V6. Buy an XJ with the 4.0 I6 and the towing package because most of those came with the stronger Dana 44 rear axle. Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Is XJ a Cheorkee model, I am only going to buy a Cheorkee, was not planning on getting a Wrangler. I know I want to get a Cheorkee with a inline 6 4.0L and with 4WD.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by freshduckie
        Is XJ a Cheorkee model, I am only going to buy a Cheorkee, was not planning on getting a Wrangler. I know I want to get a Cheorkee with a inline 6 4.0L and with 4WD.

Thanks
        Yes an XJ is a Cherokee. Make sure to get the 4.0L(straight 6). Get 91 and newer since it is the high output model and made a few more horses, about 190. 4wd for sure, 2 door/4 door is your choice although if you plan on taking people in the back get a 4 door, its sooo much easier. Auto trans/manual trans is personal preference. Both are very reliable and will certainly last. I would only worry about mileage if it is above 200K. I bought mine with about 150K ('87) and it has been going strong for the past year. in 97 the body style changed a little and the interier changed quite a bit. both are still boxy but the 97 and up is a little more refined with rounder lines metal hatch as apposed to fiberglass etc. Make sure you check the guage cluster when you look at one, many XJs new and old had a big speedo and a big gas guage and no tach. I would assume you would want a tach although it isnt terribly needed but i would prefer one. watch for oil leaks around the back of the engine, a lot of 4.0Ls like to drip from the rear main seal. if you are pretty good with a wrench and have some time it can be fixed fairly easily in a weekend but it is quite a bit of work.

If you have any other questions just ask, were here for ya

Brett
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I heard somewhere that from 90-92 there were problems with overheating? So what kinds of models are there and what are the differences? I know there is the Classic and the Sport. Thanks for the info, rock on!

Doug

Comment

Different cooling systems. The older ones, 92 and older, were closed cooling systems that were prone to cooling problems. Most people who own 87-91's upgrade to a modern open cooling system, 92+ come stock with them.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

So would it be safe to say that I should look for one from 1993 and up then?

Thanks

Comment

92 and up. the 91-87's arnt bad, I had an 88 that I converted to the new cooling system. It it were me, I would find the newest, lowest mile XJ your budget can afford.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I honestly have no problem with the cooling system. Provided you keep in in good shape and have no leaks it will work just as it was made to do. So if you do find an older one you like dont get discouraged by the cooling.
                  B R E T T
                  87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                    I honestly have no problem with the cooling system. Provided you keep in in good shape and have no leaks it will work just as it was made to do. So if you do find an older one you like dont get discouraged by the cooling.
                    agreed :yay:
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I am looking to spend no more then 3500 hopefully by end of Nov., I just can't drive my Trans Am this winter---it just sucks in the snow, and besides I want a XJ for offroading once in a while.

Comment

I prefer a pre 1984 Cherokee, but that's just me.

As for the XJs, as was said before, avoid the 2.8 V6 like the plague, I helped a friend put a new one in his, and I felt dirty for putting that dog of a motor back in it, also, the carb on them is awful. If you plan on a lift and big tires, go for a 2dr, as there is more metal you can trim so your tires will fit.

Comment

I second the notion of 4.0L (straight 6). Those engines were made to run forever, thus don't let the number of miles scare you like most cars. In terms of the years, I agree with 92 and newer. Like most cars, make sure you look into if it was well-maintained. Also, you're going to go from hating the snow to loving the snow once you get your jeep! I noticed that big difference when I got mine. It makes a huge difference beyond your imagination. Others will be treading slowly, while you'll be darting down the street like it was a summer day! Go jeepsters!

Comment

Working...
                          X