Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" Body Lift Help

I put on a 1" Performance Accessories Body lift about 4 weeks ago, and my shifter and 4 wheel drive worked fine. Now 4 weeks later, while in 2wd, 4 low, or 4 high, I cannot shift at ALL. Not 1,2,3,4,5 or REV. I can only shift when the Jeep is Off or if the 4wd lever is in neutral. I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, 6 cyl.

I thought it was probably the 4wd drop brackets that came with the 1 inch body lift. I attempted to fix that yesterday and it seemed to of fixed it, but today, it's happening again. Does anyone have a clue what I have to do to fix this?
    Last edited by JakesJeep; 08-21-05, 10:34 PM.

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

sounds like a clutch problem. More specifically the clutch is not dis engaging. They are hydraulic throw out bearings so look for a broken or crimped line. also check the clutch master cylinder to see if it has fluid. take the t-case drop off and see if it fixes it. I dont know why you would need it for a 2 inch BB anyway.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ok, so what is a t-drop?

Let me explain it like this. By telling me you cant shift when the engine is running, but CAN shift when the engine if off, that is telling me that the clutch/throw out bearing/pressure plate may be fawked. The reason you cant shift is because, believe it or not, there is torque applied to the tranny. When you push on the clutch pedal it seperates the two and allows you to shift. When the engine is off there is no torque.

Try adjusting the t-case linkage as well.
      Last edited by JeepGal; 08-21-05, 11:41 PM.
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I'll try that after school tomorrow. I'll take the drop completely off and see how it is.

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

Comment

hang on dude. what is this t-drop you speak of? does it drop the linkage or the t-case skid?
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Out of curiosity, did you also perform a 1" motor mount lift? It's not technically required, but I would think that it would help correct problems like this by keeping things in a similar place that they originally were.
            Erik

I fix things.

Comment

I have a linkage drop. I took it off today, and and the problem was the same, so I put it back on. I've been reading about clutch problems saying you need more "fluid." (like you said, but i dont know where to check it) I havent put any new fluid in lately, or ever since I got this jeep. Maybe thats the problem, im going to do that tomorrow.

Also this is what specifically happens.
              I turned my jeep off, put it in first(or any other gear), 2H, 4H, 4L and right when I start my jeep, it jumps forward and i still cannot shift. It's plainly stuck and i'm rolling in 1st gear down my driveway.
              Last edited by JakesJeep; 08-22-05, 06:57 PM.

Comment

there is a small master cylinder next to brake master cylinder. Check that. The throw out bearing CAN be bad and has ceased to work. However I dont think that is it, but anything is possible.

Does the clutch pedel feel the same?
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yeah it feels the same, me and my friend think it just needs a refill. Do I need to drain the old stuff out or just buy some fluid and refill?

Comment

After you check the oil level, but before you start digging into everything too much; pull the shifter cover and make sure the t/case is engaging correctly. Not sure on a TJ how easy it is to see it but if you disconnect the shifter from the t/case see what happens. Maybe something shifted (pardon pun) when you installed the kit first time!
                    Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

the two staements that make me think the transmission is working and the Tcase is working properly are that you can shift normally if the motor is off or the tcase is in nuetral, and if you turn the engine off and put it in first when you start it it rolls and you arte stuck in first.
                      now where I get confused is when you say that when you engage the clutch the pedal preasure is the same as it was before the mod.
                      I see this meaning the clutch is moving something to give it backpreassure on the fliud. If the fluid was low then you would not have preasure on the pedal. so I am wondering , if you get someone to watch the slave cylinder and press the clutch pedal, is it moving? if not bleed the system with fresh fluid and check again, if it is you need to see what it is moving inside the bell housing to see if the inner linkage and throwout bearinig are operating the preasure plate. if the preasure plate is operating correctly, I am stumped and would need more info
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                      X