Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA smog for a 4.0 stroker (4.6)

I want to stroke my 4.0 but before I even plan it, I want to know if doing so will effect the emmisions to the point where I'll fail smog. Anyone have experience with this in Calif???
    92 YJ 4.0 A/T, H/T
    Stock :sad:

Check with a good smog shop to see if there is a problem. I would not take anybodies word when it comes to the smog police in CA unless they actually know the laws.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Cbremer - have you smogged yours yet?
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Are you gonna run injection or carburation? What sort of cams are you going to be running? Proper tuning is the key, however, if carburated, that might be toughter to do...
        2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara Edition"
        Home Despot Disco's
        Warn Diff Cover
        Bumpers on the way!

Comment

The standard smog station check is the visual, as long as there's nothing too out of the ordinary they'll run the sniffer test. One of my old customers built up a 4.7 for his cherokee and it sailed right through smog, the only external difference was the header and intake. Obviously he didn't mention anything about the increase in displacement. Try and find your local smog refferee, they have a list on the DMV website. they're very helpfull as it's their job to tell you the requirements and if nessasary issue a the relevant cert.
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

from what ive investigated the 4.6 stroker set up for a 4.0 if done properly will actually afford you BETTER gas mileage than a worn,barely passing 4.0. i dont think that the 62mm bored out throttle body would help with the smog, so if you do that route, probably put the stocker on. as for the visibility of the 4.6 there is nothing to see. its internals that make the beast roar, not its fur coat.. call Golen at http://www.golenengineservice.com/ and talk to them. also talk to the folks at Hesco. I know that they are both biased because they want to sell a 3200+ motor but just talk to em. also check out the last few issues of JP magazine as they are doing articles on the 4.6 from Golen.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

ok well i have smog/registration coming up for my tj next month. my 4.0 is stock as stock gets except for a k&n that i put on. i removed the stock air filter and hacked the tube and threw on a cone. will this pass?

Comment

Your Jeep should pass with no problem.. They won't look at an aftermarket intake cone and fail it. Im working on getting my YJ to pass now, its an 89, and its got 225k miles on it... Im gonna have to start replacing some parts on it soon.. its failed once already. Im about ready to give up and just give it to a smog shop, tell them to make it pass smog, and hand me the bill when its done.
                Scott
                89 yj with crap and stuff.

Comment

passed!

Comment

Outstanding! Only issue I've ever has was when the YJ had sat for too long, unburned fuel in the cat failed me. Since then I religiously drive it a whole week befopre I have it tested, and the day of the test for an hour before I hit the testing station.

FYI - don't go to a lower temp thermostat, it's one of the things that can make you fail the sniffer (and it really isn't helping the engine much either)
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                    X