Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front DS angle doesn't look bad to me. You might get some vibes in 4HI on the highway, but that's not usually my first worry (how often do you do that anyway?). The main thing on the front axle is maintaining proper caster. If you haven't changed the spring perch location or installed way longer shackles, you should have the same caster you started with. If you were to point the front axle pinion up, you lose caster and then it will drive like crap. Besides, it looks like moving the spring perches is not a trivial task at this point since it's all put together. You cannot (should not) use degree wedges on the front axle.

If your fittings are the same as my CJ and the Chevy lines fit, you won't need to move the lines to the bottom of the axle. I ran the Chevy lines on mine with 4" springs and only changed recently with the addition of the RE 4.5" springs, which I estimate start at closer to 5" lift before settling in.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
      The front DS angle doesn't look bad to me. You might get some vibes in 4HI on the highway, but that's not usually my first worry (how often do you do that anyway?). The main thing on the front axle is maintaining proper caster. If you haven't changed the spring perch location or installed way longer shackles, you should have the same caster you started with. If you were to point the front axle pinion up, you lose caster and then it will drive like crap. Besides, it looks like moving the spring perches is not a trivial task at this point since it's all put together. You cannot (should not) use degree wedges on the front axle.

If your fittings are the same as my CJ and the Chevy lines fit, you won't need to move the lines to the bottom of the axle. I ran the Chevy lines on mine with 4" springs and only changed recently with the addition of the RE 4.5" springs, which I estimate start at closer to 5" lift before settling in.
      Um, I dont think I ever put it into 4wd on the pavement... (I was always taught by dad that it's not prudent to do such things.) I really dont have the vocabulary to start thinking about talking about Jeeps with you. I'm still at the "doodad and widget" phase of my education. I'll get a picture of the old spring shackles and the new ones side by side. There is quite a bit of difference. I've still not welded the shackle mounts or solid mounts to the frame yet. I've got it bolted up tight, but wanted to drive it before any welding was done. Bad idea? No wedges on the front... I'll remember that. Thanks Rick.

Hey Rick, found out that the 1990 Chevy hoses don't mate up to mine. Bummerific!
      Last edited by USMC 0369; 08-09-05, 04:08 PM.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Weather fits my mood today.

It's hella raining outside right now. And my mood is pretty overcast also.

Still no word back from the Rancho Dealer about shocks I need/want. And I just got off the phone with Mike at Morris 4x4 and my brake lines wont be here until mid-next week. So it looks like Barbara and I are going to be taking the Ford up to BB this weekend. I would put the sign in here... but I'm certainly in a :poop: mood.

I have work on the Jeep that I can be doing in the next couple of days, so I'll get that done I guess. New Mallory dist and what-not. I hate running on points.

Comment

Bummer on the brake lines. You make it sound like I'm some kind of Jeep tech wizard - I'm not! I know what I know about coal cart leaf springers because that's what I have, and I've done everything to my Jeep myself (and made plenty of mistakes along the way). I'm sure I'll get some more experience with Sarah's TJ as I go...
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Comment

New Pics.

Well, got all the springs on yesterday... forgot to take pics of em. Forgot pics of the old shackles and new ones sidexside for Rick too. I'm horrible at remembering ANYTHING. At least I didn't end up with extra bolts.

Okay, onto the pics.... today I put the Mallory dist in. No big deal I know, but the wife had the camera and was snapping away. Okay so...

Old one & New one

Um... there were some rocks available, and ya know... I couldn't help myself!

[CENTER][/CENTER]

But I needed to see what I wanted on max flex to get my measurements again for shock shopping. So we got the forklift and did this. I hope I'm not effing something up, my first time for any of this.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

I took my measurements and now I'm ready to find shocks. Front extension=22.5" and compressed=12" (to the spring stop). Rear extension=21.5" and compressed=16.5".... I hope these are within normal parameters because custom stuff is EXPENSIVE! I'll go an inch or two longer than what I measured for some slack.

Comment

Looking good Nic!

You should not have problems finding something to fit those. Might take some time digging through some parts list of shock mfgr but you will find something.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Sweet pics! We all need a few big rocks in the yard to play on, I think
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                  Looking good Nic!

You should not have problems finding something to fit those. Might take some time digging through some parts list of shock mfgr but you will find something.
                  Looks like I'm going to be going with Rancho 5113's. I might be able to get them today from Ramona Tire in San Jacinto. They're checking on it now and supposed to call me back.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksinca
                    Ramona Tire in San Jacinto.
                    Wow thats kind of far away isnt it?
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                      Wow thats kind of far away isnt it?
                      yea, and they wanted some extra $$ for the shocks. I'm going to try West Coast Bronco's on 247 (Old Woman Springs Rd.) just out of YV. I figure it's worth a shot right?

Comment

Bummer on the brake lines. You make it sound like I'm some kind of Jeep tech wizard - I'm not! I know what I know about coal cart leaf springers because that's what I have, and I've done everything to my Jeep myself (and made plenty of mistakes along the way). I'm sure I'll get some more experience with Sarah's TJ as I go...
                        Note to myself, and anyone else interested, the brake lines that I ended up getting work fine, but I'm redoing the way that brakes run anyway. I found out that instead of the expensive braided lines that I got (which I dont regret) I could have used the brake lines from a '73-'76 Ford F100 pick-up. And I'd like to throw in that our local Napa parts store is really a great place to shop. Dennis helped me throw this funky brake system together. Hopefully I'll have pics of it all finished today!

Comment

Good deal on the brake lines. As far as the Rancho shocks go, both Kragen and Napa carry Rancho. In fact, Eric and I were in Kragen on Saturday and saw a set of 5113's sitting on the counter. I think even Autozone might carry them. Did you try any of these places?
                          My Jeep

Comment

Good deal on the brake lines. As far as the Rancho shocks go, both Kragen and Napa carry Rancho. In fact, Eric and I were in Kragen on Saturday and saw a set of 5113's sitting on the counter. I think even Autozone might carry them. Did you try any of these places?
                            Oh man! Well, I got my Rancho's at 4West 4WD shop in Colton. $204 out the door for all four of them. Much better than the other shops quoted me. I'll be pissed later when I see a better deal, but for now I'm happy. I ended up getting the 5118 and I'll put a bump stop in to keep them from compressing completely.
                            Last edited by USMC 0369; 08-22-05, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X