Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ5 "Longleafs"

I got my suspension kit from Holbrook Specialties in today! Way ahead of schedule. I may have it on for the AAT Run on the 13th & 14th. I need some small parts that didn't come in the kit still. Like shocks!

I'll add to this thread to let you know the difficulty rating on the install and take some pics as I go along too!

I'm pretty giddy right now... strange for me.
    Last edited by sarah; 08-03-05, 01:25 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

i have a set of yj rancho 5000 shocks 12" and a set of 14~" rear shocks.
    new. make offer.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
      i have a set of yj rancho 5000 shocks 12" and a set of 14~" rear shocks.
      new. make offer.
      I was going to check the MJR YardSale in a minute! I'll keep that in mind... have to find out how much "travel" I need first, then I'll get that offer out...

Man I'm gonna have to seriously charm the wife tonight...

Comment

Day 1

Well, the instructions (which I followed, this is a first for me) said it would be a 6 hour job. I'm 7 hours into it and I have ONE (count em... 1) leaf spring done. However, in my defense, I am also replacing shackle hangers too, which wasn't included in the kit. So I think I'm doing okay. Besides, now that I have one done, the others will be easy to do! Okay, I have some pictures!

The kit out of the boxes.

One spring on.

Which brings me to my new delema... notice the brake line? I was hoping to get by without new lines, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Now I have to have them made at Napa in town so the Heep will be done in time for the AAT run! Thats not gonna happen, Napa refused to make them...so now I'm hunting down some brake lines I can get fast!

I have more pictures HERE. Including one of my silly mug.
        Last edited by USMC 0369; 08-06-05, 07:02 PM. Reason: continued silliness

Comment

Love to check it out some time. Ron
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
            Love to check it out some time. Ron
            I'd love to get it FINISHED sometime! Hey! You're from JT! That's two guys near me... I'm not so isolated after all!

Comment

Day 2 moving into day 3!

Crapola!

Well, so much for it going faster today. I got the other front spring done.

The only thing left to do on the front is brake lines, and shocks. Then take it out for a test and if all goes well, come back and weld the new shackle brakets to the frame.

Todays hang-up happened when I tried to get the old shocks back on, and then gave in to the Jeep and figured I've gotta get new ones. I'm a cheap bastard if nothing else. So I spent about TWO HOURS on the phone calling all over the local area trying to find someplace that makes longer brake lines with no luck at all. Oh yes, Michael, the auto parts place in Yucca only makes hydraulic lines for tractors. Nothing as small as brakes. Just in case you need some someday.

So Michael puts me on to northridge 4X4 and I'm seeing the stuff I need, and it's pretty cheap. I want to call the guy tomorrow to make sure it's exactly what I want before I order.

Then it was back to starting on the rear axle for the new springs... and this jerkwater that owned the Heep before me welded anything he could find to the frame. So another long expanse of time was used up cutting off and then sledging off one shackle. Tomorrow I have to take the gas tank out so I can have access to what I need.

Pain in the butt:

The kit would be super easy to install, if I were not replacing the shackle brackets too.

Comment

Nic,

The progress is looking good! As for taking me time then planned, I think thats normal. My 3 little jobs today which I figured 3 hours went more like 6.5 - 7 hours. But they are done

Keep us posted on the progress.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Longer brake lines: See this post by Rick

Gidder dun!
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                    Keep us posted on the progress.
                    I hope to be done with all except the shocks, and maybe the brake lines today! I'll let ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                      Longer brake lines: See this post by Rick

Gidder dun!
                      See! This is why I LOVE this site. I'm going to check this out and see if I can't get the brakes done sooner-er-er... um... is that a word?

MORE QUICKLY!.... er.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksinca
                        See! This is why I LOVE this site. I'm going to check this out and see if I can't get the brakes done sooner-er-er... um... is that a word?

MORE QUICKLY!.... er.
                        hehe, it's all hidden right there in the search function.

hope to see you soon!
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Dayum!`

Well, day 3 went well (overall). I only got one of the rear springs on but I figured that would be the case after the prior days experiences. I'd like to reiterate that it's not the kits fault. Hell I could probably have had that done in one day. It's the damn shackle hangers I'm cutting off.

Once I got the last spring off though, I noticed something... are bolts supposed to look like this? Freaks me out I was riding around on this without a care in the world.

So anyway, I put one of the rear springs on yesterday, they come with the shims already in the kit. According to the instructions you're only supposed to do one spring at a time, but I didnt tighten down the U bolts fully until I got the other side at least loose.

I got a PM from Erik that made me worry about my drive shaft angles. The rear seems to be fine with the shims... but this is my front angle and this is resting with only the vehicle weight on it, when my axle extends downward, I'm worried this is going to be a problem.

And for my last picture, you can see how much longer these springs are in this picture. I kept the shackle hangers in the original positions and the solid mounts have been pushed towards center by quite a bit.

And that's all I've got for a few days. The shop where I work on the Jeep is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. I have parts to shop for anyway. I wasn't able to accomplish pulling off a brake line to compare with the the '90 Chevy like Rick suggested. I ran out of time. My concern being the connections. I'll keep my finners crossed though!
                          Last edited by USMC 0369; 08-08-05, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Rick talks about a '90 chevy..
                            Also, consider moving the brake line mounts under the frame.
                            No the bolts should not look like that.
                            Good luck.
                            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Rick talks about a '90 chevy..
                              Stupid brains of mine.

Also, consider moving the brake line mounts under the frame.
                              In addition to longer brake lines right?

Comment

Working...
                              X