Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35" TIRES

Are 35" Tires Too Big For My 97tj ? Its Lifted 3" But It Has 33"s Now And Doesnt Have Enough Power?

Originally posted by 2quick
    Are 35" Tires Too Big For My 97tj ? Its Lifted 3" But It Has 33"s Now And Doesnt Have Enough Power?
    You need to regear your front and rear diff to get your power back. I would guess 4.56 or even a 4.88 ratio for the 35's would be enough.

Comment

You probably also need a 1" body lift.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

What axles are you running?
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

And what transmission, and what type of wheeling?
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I'm running 35" tires and it'd be a mistake to run that big of a tire without at least regearing and having beefed up front steering components like a stronger drag link and tie rod. 4.88 is ideal for 35" tires if you have a 5-speed transmission.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
              I'm running 35" tires and it'd be a mistake to run that big of a tire without at least regearing and having beefed up front steering components like a stronger drag link and tie rod. 4.88 is ideal for 35" tires if you have a 5-speed transmission.
              I think 4.56 is ideal for a 5 speed if you drive it on the highway much. You will run over 3,000 rpm in 5th gear at freeway speeds with 4.88s. The call between 4.56 and 4.88 depends mostly on how much street/freeway use. If you want slower crawl and don't care how fast you run it on the highway, then 4.88s are the way to go. How much rockcrawling is there in Kentucky?
              1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
              My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

theres not enough rock but i do get offroad and it goes great for me its just that i cant keep speed up at highway speeds unless i downshift to 4th i do drive on the road alot and may just keep 33s what gears would be best for 33s

Comment

I run 4.56 gears with 33" tires which works good for what I have auto 3 speed and tac out around 3000 rpm at 70mph it all comes down to your own setup with what you have auto or 5 speed and if you do more high way driving you may even go with 4.10 gears
                  01 Tj Sport 4.0 Auto
                  4 RE, 1" Bl-MM, 33" with 6" flares and ORF tire carrier
                  SYE kit with ARB F/B 4.56

Comment

Originally posted by 6Spyder
                    I run 4.56 gears with 33" tires which works good for what I have auto 3 speed and tac out around 3000 rpm at 70mph it all comes down to your own setup with what you have auto or 5 speed and if you do more high way driving you may even go with 4.10 gears
                    Your speedo is off because I run 3000 rpm's at 70 with 35's and 4.10's.
                    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                      You will run over 3,000 rpm in 5th gear at freeway speeds with 4.88s.
                      Nope, not even close. That "over 3,000" rpm in 5th gear on the freeway was strictly a guess from you right?

Because with 35" tires, 4.88 gearing, 5-speed tranny and cruising at 70 mph, my TJ runs right at 2700 RPMs. No where near your "over 3,000" RPMs you thought it would be. I'm doing 85 or better if I'm over 3,000 RPMs, not exactly a cruising speed for my daily driver TJ.

4.88 is IDEAL for 35" tires if the tranny has an overdrive final gear ratio like the AX-15 or NV3550 has, or the new 6-speed.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                        Your speedo is off because I run 3000 rpm's at 70 with 35's and 4.10's.
                        With your 3-speed automatic that I wish I was running too.
                        Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 07-12-05, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2quick
                          theres not enough rock but i do get offroad and it goes great for me its just that i cant keep speed up at highway speeds unless i downshift to 4th i do drive on the road alot and may just keep 33s what gears would be best for 33s
                          For 33" tires and a 5-speed manual transmission, go with 4.56. I used to run with 33" tires and 4.10 gearing with my 5-speed tranny and the performance sucked so badly I could barely use 5th gear. Everyone tried to talk me into regearing to 4.56 but I regretfully chose to ignore them and regear from my OE 3.54 gearing to 4.10 because I was afraid of excessive RPMs. That was a bad decision, I should have gone with 4.56 as my friends tried to convince me to go to. Major screw up on my part. I learned a big lesson then about not being timid on gear ratio selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                            For 33" tires and a 5-speed manual transmission, go with 4.56. I used to run with 33" tires and 4.10 gearing with my 5-speed tranny and the performance sucked so badly I could barely use 5th gear. Everyone tried to talk me into regearing to 4.56 but I regretfully chose to ignore them and regear from my OE 3.54 gearing to 4.10 because I was afraid of excessive RPMs. That was a bad decision, I should have gone with 4.56 as my friends tried to convince me to go to. Major screw up on my part. I learned a big lesson then about not being timid on gear ratio selection.
                            I still dont see why you have such a prob with 4:10, I have those in mine with a 5spd, run 33's and hardly have to ever down shift unless on a long steep hill with a strong head wind,
                            I run 2500 rpms at 70mph and get 16 to 17mpg on the hwy..

Jerry, if you have ever been to palmdale, I can run from LA to palmdale in 5th gear, no less than 65mph with no headwind and A/C on and never down shift..
                            04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                            4" rough country springs
                            Nth degree arms upper and lower
                            1" Currie MML/BL
                            Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                            33"BFG MT's
                            Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by avnative
                              I still dont see why you have such a prob with 4:10, I have those in mine with a 5spd, run 33's and hardly have to ever down shift unless on a long steep hill with a strong head wind,
                              I run 2500 rpms at 70mph and get 16 to 17mpg on the hwy..

Jerry, if you have ever been to palmdale, I can run from LA to palmdale in 5th gear, no less than 65mph with no headwind and A/C on and never down shift..
                              But just barely... I ran 33" and 4.10 for 3-4 years and ran up and down all the desert highways so I know perfectly well what it is like, it's not like I'm making up my negative experience with that combination. 4.10 wasn't world-ending BAD for me and my 33" tires, it just didn't restore the power back nearly like I expected it to. It was definitely something I was not happy with starting maybe a month or two after regearing to 4.10 after I got over the newness of the 4.10 ratio.

What really OPENED my eyes was when I got the chance to drive a friend's TJ with 33" tires and 4.56 gearing. It was like I heard the Angels singing in the background and the world suddenly grew light... it was a revelation. That's really when I started kicking myself for not going with the strongly recommended 4.56 ratio instead. That's also why I skipped right over 4.56 and went to 4.88 for when I went to 35" tires, I was not going to make the same kind of regearing mistake twice.

So you may be perfectly happy with your 4.10 and 33" tires, but I sure wasn't... especially after I got to see what 4.56 and 33" tires was like. I'm on a mission to save future Jeepers from regearing to 4.10 when they want to run 33" tires.
                              Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 07-12-05, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X