Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muffler gasket solution...

Hey guys,
    I'm still trying to get this jeep ready for this trip and would like to quiet it down just a smidge. I keep blowing this muffler pipe gasket all to smitherines. My motor sounds so cool when there's no muffler leak and was wondering if there is a trick of the trade you can share. I remember once wrapping it with some kind of muffler repair tape... but don't think it held. Maybe one of those copper gaskets or somethin? Okay appreciate your help as always.
    CH

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kpasque/headergasket.JPG
    ^-------have a look at where I'm talking about

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by CrossHair
    Hey guys,
    I'm still trying to get this jeep ready for this trip and would like to quiet it down just a smidge. I keep blowing this muffler pipe gasket all to smitherines. My motor sounds so cool when there's no muffler leak and was wondering if there is a trick of the trade you can share. I remember once wrapping it with some kind of muffler repair tape... but don't think it held. Maybe one of those copper gaskets or somethin? Okay appreciate your help as always.
    CH

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kpasque/headergasket.JPG
    ^-------have a look at where I'm talking about

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    try the copper collecter gasket, but I'd use a hammer and dolly and straighten that flange, if you don't have a dolly then a 2x4 will work. if that dont keep it from blowing then I think its time for some new pipe.

Comment

looks like it is suffering from probably the most common collector gasket problem ever.....over-tightening of the bolts. This leads to the flanges being bent, so they no longer hold pressure on the gasket. The problem is, those gaskets shrink.....yes I said it, and I'll say it again....those gaskets SHRINK.

So, you install a new gasket, crank the bolts down until the flange bends (as indicated by the picture), then the gasket shrinks and you develop a leak because you can't tighten it up any more.

The real solution is to cut those flanges off, beat all the pieces into submission (strait), then weld them back together, and avoid overtightening in the future. Snug the bolts up (with a new gasket installed)...just tight enough to seal. Then re-tighten them every day or two (assuming it is a daily driver...otherwise after every run), until the gaskets quit shrinking.

Sound like I am smoking crack? Probably...that is exactly what I thought of the guy (owner of Smokey's speed shop in Oceanside, CA) who told me what I just typed out. I finally got tired of replacing those damn things and followed his advice. Now, I typically get 10 - 15K out of a set, instead of 500 - 1K miles.

good luck!
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Very informative,
        Thanks alot man...I agree. I'll probably first try out a pair of those copper ones to get me by. But thats sound advice and I'll adhere to it in the future. CH

Comment

I had kinda the same problem with my collector gaskets, I kept blowing them out even the copper ones. I found some thick aluminum one from a speed shop and never had a problem with them since and that was like back in like 99 or 2000 i bought them, they even have a life time warranty. I can't remember the brand name , I have the info at home, but I'm still in Iraq, sorry. But check out some at a speed shop.
          75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Working...
          X