Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure whats wrong, need major help!

Ok, my XJ is spewin out exhaust like none other...i was parked in front of a party store and i smoked out the lady talking at the pay fone and the car next to me. Its burnin oil reeeal bad. Ive been told by friends i need to replace head gaskets and illbe good to go. Is this true? I also have like no rear fluid. How do i fill that and with what type of fluid?( It squeks like a chew toy for a dog in reverse with little gas pedal press). Im also leaking power steering fluid...how is that usualy fixed? Also...haha( yeah it continues)...on a exhaust manifold leak...i dont need a full manifold, just the rings and gaskets and what not, right?? someone PLZ help me out, it would be a huge help. thanks!

Oil burning---probably piston rings and valve seals. Head gasket, you'd have more problems (poss. water in the oil, no power, blah blah)

rear fluid---if you're talkin about the diff, you should have a rubber plug or metal screw in plug on the cover. Just pop it out and put some 80w90 in there. If you have a limited slip, be sure to get some friction additive. Fill it until it just starts coming out of the fill hole (dribbles).

power steering---is it hoses, pump, of box? Buy new hoses install and refill, then bleed the air out by turning the wheels back and forth until the bubbles are gone (I think on this one), probably have to add fluid as you go. pump---get new pump, do everything mentioned above. Same for the steering box.

If its just the exhaust manifold, you should just need new gaskets.
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

thanks alot! that helped me out a bunch. im gunna head out to get the rear fluid and what not, get prices. thanks again

Comment

CHECK YOUR VACUMM HOSES...THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMOKE AND SMELL REEEEEAAALLLLY BAD. iF YOU FIND A BROKEN ONE JUST REPLACE THEM ALL WITH WINDSHIELD WIPER HOSE...THATS WHAT I DID AND IT FIXED THE PROB. GOOD LUCK.
        87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
        ~ Dave Howell

Comment

where are the vacuum hoses located

Comment

they are the little black hard tubes that are located around and going into the throttle body...you can also check for leaks by spraying carb cleaner on them while the engine is running...when the engine rpms rise you found your leak.
            87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
            ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Working...
            X