Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging AC

Hey i got the hose that goes into the little bottel now iam trying to charge the ac. I hooked it up to the little connection on the pass. side of the jeep iam i doing something wrong its not cold yet!!!

Originally posted by Allwheelspin
    Hey i got the hose that goes into the little bottel now iam trying to charge the ac. I hooked it up to the little connection on the pass. side of the jeep iam i doing something wrong its not cold yet!!!
    Have you checked it for leaks? There could be a number of problems wrong with the AC system-leaks, clogged drier, bad compressor, bad condenser. Plus, are you sure it's low on refrigerant? It's possible to damage the compressor by overcharging. If you know for sure how much refrigerant it needs, make sure you're charging the low pressure side.
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Well i dont know about a leak what do i do just turn the ac on and look for leaks or will i see them? I dont know about the level of refredernt eaither. Maybe i should trade this can with the B so it will seal it

Comment

Well i dont know about a leak what do i do just turn the ac on and look for leaks or will i see them? I dont know about the level of refredernt eaither. Maybe i should trade this can with the B so it will seal it
        you can't see the actual refrigerant leaking. What you can do is find your refrigerant lines, and trace them through the system. If there are spots of oily dirt around the connections (spots where the rubber hoses meet the metal, etc), that can be an indication that you have a leak at that spot, since (refrigerant) oil is flowing through the system along with the refrigerant. On the other hand, if your engine compartment is really dirty, that won't be as easy to spot. Since most vehicles come originally from the factory charged at the bare minimum of refrigerant, you probably are undercharged. But if you're adding refrigerant and nothings happening, sounds like you have other issues.

What year is your jeep? Also, look at the label on the underhood or near the fan, it should say what type of refrigerant is in the system. Is it R-134a or R-12?

Comment

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country Iam sure its R134a and the B means a sealant becasue R-12 it says on my 1980 camaro Ac and they dont sell that. So iam going to look for leaks but does anyone have troble with there compressors? or something else

Comment

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country Iam sure its R134a and the B means a sealant becasue R-12 it says on my 1980 camaro Ac and they dont sell that. So iam going to look for leaks but does anyone have troble with there compressors? or something else
            You're R134a if that's what the label says. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's hard to say why you're blowing hot air. Most problems can be ruled out by hi side/low side pressure readings and comparing them to what they should be. AC's hard to tackle without the right tools. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for an summer ac special.

One way to rule out compressor clutch trouble is to have the jeep running, and while you watch the ac compressor, have someone turn on the ac. If it's working properly, you should see the clutch engage. (you'll probably feel it engage; the jeep might shudder a bit). Also check the belt and the ac pulley. If either are blue or shiny, it may mean the belt is slipping.

What did you mean by "B means a sealant..."?

Hope this helps.

Comment

My Honda Accord air wasn't getting cold, so a friend brought his hoses and freon over and put some in. No cold air.....head scratch.....shoulder scrug.....more head scratching. I went a few months driving like it was trying to figure it out...checking fuses, that sort of thing. Turns out it was the knob. it wasn't allowing the setting to go over to the cold position, so it blew warm air....$10.00 fix
              1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Originally posted by sam 15
                My Honda Accord air wasn't getting cold, so a friend brought his hoses and freon over and put some in. No cold air.....head scratch.....shoulder scrug.....more head scratching. I went a few months driving like it was trying to figure it out...checking fuses, that sort of thing. Turns out it was the knob. it wasn't allowing the setting to go over to the cold position, so it blew warm air....$10.00 fix
                That's funny! Start with the basics and work you're way up. I always like the story about the customer who has their car towed into the shop 'cause it won't start and the mechanic spends an hour on it before finally figuring out it's out of gas. :haha:

Comment

Yeh iam gonna start into her its hot here now! But my father said he talked to a guy and said he might know what it is if not iam buying a gauage Thanks guys

Comment

I just charged my Unlimited Rubicon with all the factory sh*t. It promises to keep the trail cool for everyone, although I think you have to be behind me. So if I ask politely to cut up to the front its just to make conditiond better for everyone else. Brian4.2
                    (just trying to do my part)

Comment

Working...
                    X