Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Steelies

I have been thinking about trading in my Eagles for some Black Steel Rims. I have heard the downfall to these are the weight and how easy they are to bend. I really like the looks of them on white TJ's though and they are cheap.

Are there anyother negatives about these rims I should know about. If you have some, do you have to buy new ones all the time becuase the bend??? Any info would be great. Thanks!

I was thinking about trading my 15x10 eagles for some 15x8 black steelies.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

If you had 15x8 I would trade you my black steelies. I got mine because they were cheap and they have proven to be just that.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Why not just paint your current rims? If its just for the color contrast, why not?
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I've run a set of cheap black steelies for about 5 years, the advantages are that they're cheap, easy to repair (big hammer and welder) disadvantages they're cheap...... and easily damaged, next time you're behind someone running them on the freeway you'll probably notice they don't run true if they're well used. Aluminum, cast or forged tend to be a little stiffer and less prone to run out and distortion. Saying that, I love my beaten up wheels and would only trade them to go with a new set of beadlocks.
        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Just have them powder coated the color you want. Then you'll have the best of both worlds!
          The custom shops do it all the time. Runs about $40 a wheel to have them bead blasted and coated.

I got Eagles and was going to have them coated, but decided they were too pretty polished and they matched the RV bright so wifey said "leave 'em". I can always have them coated down the road if they get all scratched. I keep hitting the same one on rocks but it's not too bad yet.

Comment

I keep going back and forth with these rims. I really like My Eagles but they have been getting really thrashed on the trails. I dont want to spend a huge amount of money on a new set of Alloys. Plus I would like to go to 15x8's rather than 15x10's. The decisions!
            Last edited by TJSUPE; 05-31-05, 09:33 AM.
            Supe
            97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
            Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

New 15X8 Eagle Alloys in a plain style (the eight holes?) run about $80 each. I got the simulated beadlock style and they were $90. Yes, the 8" width works better in the rocks, they don't get hit as often.

Some folks complain about the 3 1/4" back spacing on EA's. It works fine for me, but you can get the Procomp version (Xtreme Alloy?) for about the same money and they have 3 3/4" BS.

Comment

I run the black Steel rims from daytona on my Tj and i have had no problems at all with em. ive been in some mild rocks, mud pits, tough trails for a almost stock jeep. jumped the dunes in Pismo beach. and the ride and work great. i got mine 4 25bucks a piece form a local tire dealer who wanted to get rid of them. granted im not yet doing the hardcore trails some of you guys are. but my luck has been goood so far with them.

heres a pic of mine.

Comment

I love mine! They are $35 a piece, If I break/ bend one I throw it out and get a new one. Also a steel wheel you can pound back into semi-round if you bend it on the trail and get the tire to seat long enough to get you off the trail.
                  That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
                  X