Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Jeep is SCREWED!

For those of you who don't know, I'm in Kosovo right now with the Natl. Guard, and my Jeep is in the shop. I got an email from my dad telling me how bad it really is. Need some advice from you guys, if you don't mind helping me out... here's the email:

Got a call from James (mechanic), he got your jeep started and pulled it onto the lift. He did not want to proceed until you really understand how bad it is. The frame is rusted through in a lot of places and the body sitting onto of the frames is rusted even worse. The wiring is trash like you already knew, and he is afraid of how many hours it will cost you to pull a whole new bridal assembly. The lower rear main seal on the engine is leaking real bad and that oil is running onto the clutch which it might have ruined or not. The brake lines all need to be replaced because they have been twisted and are rotting. The power seeking unit itself is shot not just the seals. He is afraid that to get it all running you could be talking allot of money maybe as high as 5,000 or 6,000 dollars.

Ok, here's the deal. I bought it cheap to fix it up and wheel with it at the same time. What do you guys think. I have the money, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. Let me know...

Sounds expensive. Cheaper if you do it yourself.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Most if it sounds like you can do yourself over many weekends. The only problem I really see is the frame rusted through. Never heard of that but I seems possible.

Repairing the frame along with everything else might not be worth it compared to find another CJ in better shape and just scraping what you have.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Use it for a parts donor for another one in better shape or sell it as such.

It's not worth putting all that money into such an old jeep. If it was just running gear you could replace that. But with a rusted frame and body, and bad wiring you'll throw good money after bad at it and still have a POS.

There's a good article in the current JP mag on getting into wheeling with a rig for under $4K. Might be worth a read.

That's unfortunate. Best of luck.

Comment

Start here: New Frames

I would call this option #1, with option #2 being to find a used YJ frame and build it on that. There are a few nuances to putting a CJ body on a YJ frame, but the front of the YJ frame is way stronger than the CJs, so it is worth the effort. I believe the new frames above address the frame strength issue up front, so that would also be an upgrade to replacing/repairing a CJ frame. I would think that repairing a rusted out CJ frame would cost (in time and/or $) almost as much as getting a new one or doing the swap. To repair the frame properly, you need to strip it anyway to make sure it is straight before welding reinforcements on. This means the labor to strip down the frame is the same whether you repair or you replace. Better to start with a good frame. If you're not able to stomach the cost, you should probably consider ditching this one and buying a later model/not rusted Jeep.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I'd buy a CA Jeep and ship it back.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

$300 YJ frame

Originally posted by rick
              I would call this option #1, with option #2 being to find a used YJ frame and build it on that. There are a few nuances to putting a CJ body on a YJ frame, but the front of the YJ frame is way stronger than the CJs, so it is worth the effort.
              http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/used-parts.html
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                Well, that is always option #1, but since he didn't do that to begin with...
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I would do the least to get it running and sold. When you get home, shop around for a better project. IMHO, yours ain't worth it.

BTW, what the hell is a "bridal assembly" and "power seeking unit" ??? Gotta be country slang for something !!

Comment

Originally posted by ToddH
                    I would do the least to get it running and sold. When you get home, shop around for a better project. IMHO, yours ain't worth it.

BTW, what the hell is a "bridal assembly" and "power seeking unit" ??? Gotta be country slang for something !!

I think I found a newer CJ-7, that's in good shape, for around $3,000. Thanks for your advice everyone, I appreciate it!

Also, ToddH, my dad is a little strange, haha, let me see if I can translate.
                    Bridal assembly=wiring harness, and I THINK power "seeking" unit is supposed to be power "steering" unit, haha... and yes, he lives in the country, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                      Skip the CA stuff. It could have lived next to the ocean. Hell I can't keep anything from rusting on mine
                      I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

What it sounds like what the jeep needs is what a "REBUILDER" calls a frame up restoreration.
                        If it is a CJ 5 from the 60s or an older jeep I would tacle it, buy a new poweder coated frome, rip it to peices and start transfering each part after I rebuilt it.
                        A cj 7 or up are just to common to sink that kind of money into, and the amount of labor and parts would soon have you over the cost that you would ever be able to recomp.
                        I would suggest getting another jeep and looking at what you would like to do with the other one.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Depending on where its rusted throug at, If its the rear half of the frame I say lop it off, Tube it and 4 link the rear and leave teh front leafs.

The brakelines are no big whoop. 100 will get you a set of 4 inch steel braded.

Powersteering is not a big thing, you can replace all of that with stuff you find at a junk yard.
                          Clutch is not that big of a deal either, if you have a garage and tools you can replace it.
                          Rear main can be done in no time.

But thats me. If your looking for something you can drive to and from I would get a new one and donate this one to the jeep pile of parts.

Comment

It sounds like it is not worth the effort. Used jeeps without rust are for sale by the dozen. I would start over. Get rid of the rust bucket and get something else. Oh yeah, get something that is fuel injected.
                            92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

It sounds like it is not worth the effort. Used jeeps without rust are for sale by the dozen.
                              I wish i live wherever you do! I spent 6 months pricing jeeps and only found 1 for under 4K and it was 3800
                              Jim
                              ../l ,[____],
                              l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
                              ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

Working...
                              X