Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few ?'s about brakes on a CJ7

I am fairly new to the world of brakes on my 77 CJ7. It has rear drums and front Disc. I bought the jeep on Ebay and nuff said about that. the rear brake line that runs across the differential has been cut in half and a whole lot off other problems. here is my questions:

1.Will a jeep wagoneer or other simular vehicle's brake lines work on a CJ7? there are no CJ7 or yj ect here in any of the junk yards just wagoneers, cherokies ect.

2. I would like to change from standard brakes to powered breaks anyone know what other vehicles will interchange with my CJ7? (no major mods)

Thank you for your time and effort in these matters.

For the rear brake line, is it the hard line that runs across the axle? If so, use a tape measure to guestimate how long the line should be, take a piece with a flared end and the nut to AutoZone and get a replacement.

No suggestions on switching to powered brakes, never had to do that on my TJ
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

New Discovery for me.....

[QUOTE=nagal]For the rear brake line, is it the hard line that runs across the axle? If so, use a tape measure to guestimate how long the line should be, take a piece with a flared end and the nut to AutoZone and get a replacement.

I pulled the rear Tires off the jeep and new imeadiately something was wrong here. the passenger side reat drum was soaked with what appeared to be gear oil. i pulled off the drum and it was full of gunk! it appears to be a mixture of gear oil and dirt. the axle it self moves in and out about 1 - 2 inches, is that normal? I pulled the differential cover and it was about 3/4 full of brownish green soup! but deffinately gear oil by the smell with the concistancy of pancake mix. not sure if thats normal or not.

some of the good news is , I was able to get a new brake line, wheel cylinders and brakes at auto zone. so I do appreciate that.

Any Ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

NOT NORMAL! Not sure what axle you have, but it sounds like the axle bearing is shot and the seal as well. I also dont think gear oil should be green.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

That "should" be an AMC 20 axle. 1 or 2 inches is NOT normal. about 1/8th inch is normal

AMC 20 has a cap over the tapered shaft, pull the cap and look, that may be a lot of the motion.

Soup is bad, some 90 WT looks kinda green, but soup is bad, drain and replace after you solve the other problems, drive then drain again.
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

good advice

Originally posted by Davisrats
            That "should" be an AMC 20 axle. 1 or 2 inches is NOT normal. about 1/8th inch is normal

AMC 20 has a cap over the tapered shaft, pull the cap and look, that may be a lot of the motion.

Soup is bad, some 90 WT looks kinda green, but soup is bad, drain and replace after you solve the other problems, drive then drain again.
            Thank you for all the help!!!!!!!!! I purchased a set of new 1 piece forged axles.

Comment

Working...
            X