Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel alignment

Anyone offer some input on aligning my steering wheel as it sits about 45 deg off?

I was told 3 different methods and of course I want the easy one, but also the right one. Here's what I was told....

1. at the steering column inside the engine compartment, loosen the nut holding the upper shaft to the mid shaft and rotate the wheel then retighten nut (not so sure about this one.)

2. Remove the pitman arm, align the wheel, reconnect the pitman

3. twist the tierods (outer goes clockwise and the inner goes counter clockwise) then adjust for a 5 deg tow by measuring front of tire and add 5 deg to measurement of the rear of the front tires.

Let me know what you all think ...

http://www.cowtownjeeps.com/

click TECH INFO on the left, then select ALIGNING YOUR TJ, XJ, ZJ....sorry, can't link right to it.

Comment

Originally posted by hypewerx
      Anyone offer some input on aligning my steering wheel as it sits about 45 deg off?

I was told 3 different methods and of course I want the easy one, but also the right one. Here's what I was told....

1. at the steering column inside the engine compartment, loosen the nut holding the upper shaft to the mid shaft and rotate the wheel then retighten nut (not so sure about this one.)

2. Remove the pitman arm, align the wheel, reconnect the pitman

3. twist the tierods (outer goes clockwise and the inner goes counter clockwise) then adjust for a 5 deg tow by measuring front of tire and add 5 deg to measurement of the rear of the front tires.

Let me know what you all think ...
      Do not do any of those.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

well, that would be great, but I came across a problem. I grabbed my 15m wrench and ran down to the rig only to find that my drag link seems to be some custom job and there is NO turnbuckle at all! Really, i checked and then i double checked, then i ran up to the house and compared your pic to my jeep, went back down to the driveway, and sure enough, turnbuckle is MIA. Not possible you say, yep that's what i said too...sounds like I'll have to get myself a replacement eh?

Comment

what kind of Jeep?
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
          X