Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help fixing up some small things on my jeep!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help fixing up some small things on my jeep!

I have 95 rio grande wrangler, it is not so rockin' at the moment though. The front driver side zipper is broken, it looks like the zipper just came seperated somehow, how would I get it "pinched" back together? There are some other quirks I will try to get taken care of as well, the console is tore to pieces. Anyone know of a good place online to get a nice console? I am going to go check out the salvage yards in Tucson for my other problem, which is a missing spare rim/tire. I had it stolen from me about a month ago, so I need to replace the spare rim and tire, I am hoping to get a used rim at the salvage yard as well. Thanks for the help!

One day, my jeep will rock

Welcome to MJR! The window zipper do you mean? Outland and Tuffy make similiar security consoles, Quadratec is a good place to check out, but I have yet to own one (it's on the list though ) There are a couple of guys on this site from your area, maybe they can direct you to some local places & yards to check out.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks, the window zipper is what I was referring too. Today I ventured over to a part of town with tons of salvage yards, found the rim I needed for 35$, but no console. I decided to buy a nice one off of quadratec, but I still have yet to find any reources that are helpful as far as repairing the window zipper. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

and to anyone in tucson, what are the best places for getting jeep parts?

Comment

try an auto interior shop or a tailer for the zipper.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Anyone have an idea how much money this would cost? I wish I could find something on the web on how to repair it.

Comment

I thought the Tuffy consoles were a bit bloody expensive.

Instead I converted an ammo can (the SAW can fits great). I cut off the carry handle, added a lock and bolted to the floor with some rubber hose spacers.
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

E-bay has some good prices. I got a tuffy look a like half the price and love it.
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Anyone have any stories about how they broke their zipper, and fixed it? I really would like to get this taken care of, bugging the hell out of me. Thanks!

Comment

My TJ drivers window Zipper came apart so we put a #10 YKK type in place of it ( big tooth) and got rid of the coil small tooth type. (it isn't as smooth around corners but it won't be coming apart again). Glue'd and stitched the whole skin back on the frame and it looks like factory now. No leaks, No Jams, & No Wind Leakage. Cost was under $10 and time was about 2 hours total..... 3 glue sticks later a few yards of marine grade UV tan nylon thread and it's done! The way BesTop should have done it from day ONE on all half door windows.
                  Rick
                  " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                  Rick W6RE

Comment

Good thing I had remembered sewing from Home Ec when I was in high school over 20 years ago heh.... The things one remembers at the wierdest times? And I thought I was in that class to pick up on the girls.... Yeah... Right!
                    Remember to sew exactly into the same holes on the window where the original zipper was sewn in or it will crack if the plastic is older (brittle) and you don't have a strong needle on the machine to puncture the plastic.
                    Otherwise if you don't want to sew, see if you can spread with a small screwdriver the zipper puller so you can put it back together and then use a pair of pliers to squeez the zipper back together with light pressure (Just enough to make it stay back together) or it will bind when moved. Actuate it a few times with some bar soap on the teeth and it should slide smooth as silk... Well okay maybe not but it should work.
                    Rick
                    " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                    Rick W6RE

Comment

Talk about perfect timing! My driver side zipper is toast. I have re-did a lot of the stitching in my top already so I am not afraid to use my needle and thread

Looks like a stop at Wal-Mart to get a zipper.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

So is it a pretty tough job? I have no experience in sewing. Should I just save up some cash and take it to a tailor?

Comment

Working...
                        X