Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warn Winch

I'm looking to buy an Warn Electric Winch. There are so many to choose from.......can anyone tell me witch one would be good for my CJ, and should it run on its own battery ?
    thanks,
    Dave

The CJ-5 is pretty light and should be well-served by any of the 8000 pound Warn's. Consider buying used as they seem fairly durable (I am at least the third owner of mine).

I run mine off a single Optima Blue battery using the accessory posts for the winch (probably not smart but I have never been accused of that anyways) and the main posts for the starter/alternator/rest of the smoking mess.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

ok I know this is going to sound a little dumb, but what is "self recovery" when referring to the winch? There's a big price difference between the 8000 lbs winches compared to the 9.5. I don't mind spending an extra buck (or should I say extra few hundred bucks) to get something that wouldn't never let me down. Im looking at the 9.5ti Thermometric Self-Recovery Winch.
      Thanks for the feedback,
      Dave

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example: If there were Ford Excursion stuck in the mud, I would like to be able to pull him/her out without any problems of overloading a smaller winch. (I do relize that I would have to anchor my jeep to something solid so I wouldn't be pulling myself to him/her.
        Thanks for the feedback,
        Dave

Comment

Self-recovery winch just means you are going to be using it to get you out of a stuck rather than just using it to pull yourself on to a trailer. Aim for about 2x your GVWR.

If you are going to be tugging a significantly heavier vehicle make sure you anchor your vehicle off of the winch mounting plate or as close as possible, not off of the rear bumper because there is a small chance that you could damage the frame by "stretching" it. Instead of getting a winch rated for heavier loads, go with an inexpensive pulley (AKA snatch block). This will double your pull rating but at half the speed.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
            I run mine off a single Optima Blue battery using the accessory posts for the winch (probably not smart but I have never been accused of that anyways) and the main posts for the starter/alternator/rest of the smoking mess.
            The preferred method is to use the accessory terminals for the starter and the main posts for your winch.

I don't know if a winch or starter motor pulls more current but the duration is very different. I have heard of winches burning the accessory tabs, never actually seen it
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
              The preferred method is to use the accessory terminals for the starter and the main posts for your winch.

I don't know if a winch or starter motor pulls more current but the duration is very different. I have heard of winches burning the accessory tabs, never actually seen it
              A starter draws something like 60-80 amps, a winch can draw in excess of 400 amps. Which is why Optima says not to connect a winch to their side posts which can support a starter but not a winch.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                A starter draws something like 60-80 amps, a winch can draw in excess of 400 amps.
                That's a *big* diff especially when you add the fact that we crank the starter for a few seconds but may run the winch for a few minutes.
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

When I talked to an Optima rep a couple of years ago at SEMA he said they recomended mounting everything on the top mounts and only using the side mounts for low draw items like electric fans and the like, anything bigger will void the warranty and probably fry things. There's usually enough thread on the main power lead bolts to connect a winch up top anyway! thats the way I ran mine...
                  Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

And if there's not enough thread, just buy longer bolts.
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll be going with the Warn M8000 for about 600 bucks........yeahoo !!! I was willing to spend 1000 on the 9.5ti but after reading the feedback I realize that it would be overkill. Should I have the winch welded or just bolted to the frame. I don't know if there is a high theft problem with winches.
                      Dave

Comment

If your bumper is anything like mine (and others I've seen), it will take a thief with exceptional dexterity to get the bolts out in anything under about a half hour... If you're really worried about it, tack weld a tab onto the bottom of the bumper next to the rear two bolts after you torque them. Then the tabs can be ground off with a grinder if/when you want to remove the winch. Or if you don't mind a mess when you go to take it off, tack the bolts.
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Comment

My HF winch is sitting on the garage floor. In it's place is a new Warn 9.5xp. The HF winch is slower than dog #*&@, the line keeper on the reel is a POS, and did I mention it's slow? It is ok if the only reason you want a winch is to have a winch if you're in a pinch. But if you plan on using it, don't buy one of those. The line keeper broke off the side of the spool on mine and it left me winchless on the trail. It's a very bad design, with a screw through a clamp to hold the rope against the side of the spool. The first hint of passenger side sidepull ripped it off, allowing the rope to simply spin on the spool providing no pull.
                          My Jeep

Comment

Working...
                          X