Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarette Lighter is busted

Hi there,

Does anyone have any idea what would be the best way to fix a cigarette lighter in a jeep? Is it something i can fix myself or something i should take a dealership/mechanic?

thanks in advance,

-Aj

buy a replacement at auto zone, and slap[ it in the hole
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

What is the problem? Maybe you just burnt the fuse.
      03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Easiest way to fix it is to stop smoking

Sersiouly,

make sure you have voltage to the lighter before buying one. I second what Erik says, go to AutoZone and buy a replacement if it is the lighter element (or whatever the hot part is called).
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

My mistake. Its not the lighter itself. Its the part inside. I try to plug my mp3 player power adapter and basically nothing happens. So i guess its not giving out any voltage.

Does it use some sort of fuse? Is it usually located behind the unit or would it be with the other fuses?

Comment

Yes it does have a fuse. On my 03, it's #18 fuse behind the glove box. It's the left most one, on the second row from the top (might be somewhere else on other jeeps). It has a 15A fuse in there right now but the sticker on the glove box says 20A.

If the fuse is ok, you may want to check your mp3 plug and make sure the tip is contacting with the back of the cig plug.
            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

If you have an i-Pod, and a belkin cig lighter power adapter, the tip does NOT reach the back of the cig lighter.

I just went ahead a soldered an extra 1/8th inch onto the tip and it works fine now.

Comment

hmm

Really? actually i think it is a Belkin (for my iPod) Is it a Belkin thing or Jeep thing?

Originally posted by mparker
                If you have an i-Pod, and a belkin cig lighter power adapter, the tip does NOT reach the back of the cig lighter.

I just went ahead a soldered an extra 1/8th inch onto the tip and it works fine now.

Comment

Never had an issue with mine. Works great in my 98 TJ.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Belkin

I bought a cigarette lighter and tested out the port and it worked fine. So it looks like it is the Belkin. thanks guys!

oh and belkin hates jeeps! (except for nagals)

Comment

oh and belkin hates jeeps! (except for nagals)
                      Thats because I'm special
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                      X