Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Engine swap

I just found out that I can get a cummins crate engine for cost. I have been toying around with the idea of doing a diesel swap mostly because I'd love to run bio-diesel. From my reesearch, I can't find hardly any info on what it would take.

If you were going to do this, what would you do for the engine, transmission and transfer case in a TJ thats a DD?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

What size Cummins are you planning to run?Some of these are really heavy.I have seen some tech articles on swapping the 4B3.9 Cummins into Jeeps.
    "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

The swap itself is very similar to swapping in a fuel injected gas motor, only consider that a diesel will strain your drivetrain dramtically more than a a "standard" gas motor would, with big ft/lbs etc... the thing you really have to worry about is the smog nazi's. I'd check with these guys first.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/referee.pdf

As for drivetrain I'd go Dana 60's front and rear NV4500 tranny with NP205 t/case for a cummins you could lighten up with a smaller motor, like an Isuzu etc..
      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

what make is the diesel in the liberty? Mercedes?
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I thought the new one was a Mercedes design, same as they put in the euro wagons etc. got a lot of get up and go!
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Daimler's Common Rail Diesel in the Libery is not 50 state emissions compliant t/f no new Liberty CRD sales here in California. I am not sure what the story is about purchasing out of state and registering here.

If you are planning on doing a diesel swap-in, I'd take Andy's statements about emissions compliance seriously if you are planning to register for on-road use. Why not get a beater 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck and switch out the old diesel engine. At least you'd have the proper running gear to accomodate the motor and wouldn't have to worry about emissions. A salvage vehicle with blown engine would be even more desireable assuming you could find the right adapter.

I know of an 84 F350 quad cab 4x2 that has been flat/stake bedded that is lying around irritating the owner's wife. I am pretty sure the IDI motor is shot with cavitation, but I haven't tested the cylinders myself to see if compression causes the coolant to overflow. I was going to try to snake it for free, but I ended up leaving it be. It's in San Jose, but at least it gives you an idea of what to do with the motor.

I guess you'd also need to consider fuel delivery, cooling, blah, blah, if you got a pre-78 gasser truck. Seems like a big hassle.
            Just my $0.02
            Last edited by jmbrowning; 04-05-05, 01:52 AM.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

As always, smog is a pia in CA and I thank everyone for reminding me

If I was to do something like this, I doubt Id swap axles too so I would be sticking with my D44 front and rear. The NV4500 is a killer tranny but I am not sure about the 6.34 as the first gear for a daily driver.

As far as size goes, nothing monsterous as the swap would be to run bio-diesel and not to be the "cool guy with the huge cummins in his Jeep". A large 4cyc or small 6cyc would fit my needs nicely.

I do believe the CRD in the Liberty is a Mercedes and sadly is not certified in CA yet as jmbrowning pointed out.

This would be a huge project and not taken on lightly, still just kicking around the idea. Its amazing what the mind starts to think when someone tells you, you can get a crate motor at cost
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Have any friends or relatives in the restaurant business???Free fuel for your diesel!! Check out http://www.greasecar.com/ pretty neat idea.Basically you have a second tank for the cooking oil that is heated by the engines water.As you drive down the road and the cooking oil thins out you hit a switch and it switches from diesel to cooking oil!Just make sure you switch back to diesel a few miles before you reach your destination others wise your induction system will be plugged up when the cooking oil cools!
                "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Willie Nelson's tour busses run a Bio diesel blend, have a read of this! http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/u...ts/willie.shtm

Comment

oh and this....http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,66288,00.html

Comment

If I do this, I wont be using used cooking oil. I dont want to be the Burger Jeep Guy and have all the dogs follow me around trying to lick my exhaust pipe Plus you really have to refine and strain that stuff.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I had taken the measurments on the 5.9L & it won't really fit..... Unless you want your oil pan to hang lower than your diff. The engine is 32-34" tall & weighs nearly 700 Lb. wet with flywheel & accys. as by the scale we had one on. On the plus side, the depth will fit in a YJ engine compartment with 4" to spare. Run a 4 or 6 row radiator set "into" the grille and some electric fans for cooling. Build a CRD from a Liberty or use a Diesel from a 300SD/TD etc. would fit better and will be MUCH less front end weight. Manual transmission would have been a 4550 Chrysler because of the same spline count (23 sp) and still be short enough to fit and still have a rear driveshaft. Originally last year I was going to put a DuraMax in my YJ but sold the YJ and 6.6L turbodiesel engine before doing the swap. I know where there is a CRD in a crate just waiting for a conversion.....
                        Rick
                        " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                        Rick W6RE

Comment

Nice to know about the 5.9 but I was not looking for anything that big Now with the 300SD/TD assuming you could get the right adapter, an AX-15 with 23 spline might mate to it. Of course, overall length could be an issue.

That CRD in a crate is tempting

A friend of my wife's has a diesel Merceds and she is interested in running bio-diesel. Even offered her garage to cook it in. So I might just make a batch for her and see how it turns out.
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                          X